Writing A Novel, Need Help W/ Hit & Run Accident Scenario

ranger4

Hello to all you Insurance Professionals!

Like the title says, I'm writing a novel. One of my characters gets hit by a car. Hit & run, so we don't know who hit him. He has severe injuries and is in the hospital for several weeks before he passes away. He was self-employed and didn't pay his last health insurance premium. He was hit while walking to his car. So my question is this: Is he covered under any other of his policies, like auto or homeowner's? My plan is that his widow will be hit with a huge hospital bill.

Another scenario is that he did pay his premium, but the Insurance Company will not pay because he was hit by another car.

What do you think? Are these scenarios plausible? Any and all advice or suggestions are very welcome.

And to the mods: If I'm posting this in the wrong place, my apology.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure in either scenario he would be covered by the uninsured motorist coverage assuming he has it on his auto policy.

Unless he has uninsured motorist coverage or health insurance he is out of luck. However, an adequate life insurance policy would save the day.

I'm pretty sure in either scenario he would be covered by the uninsured motorist coverage assuming he has it on his auto policy.

His agent could have easily given him the lowest limits available and during a bad accident it can be pretty easy to kill the $25k or so in most states.

Have her discover an appt card from a life insurance agent set for the next day. And a letter from his auto insurance company, cancelling his policy last month , because of non payment. Have her worried when she gets to the emergency room , and when they ask who is going to be responsible for the medical bills., she signs that she will. They put him on life surpport. Her 500k left to her by her grandmother, puff... gone...We have a lot of insurance agents/comedians/and writer. all here in one place. We could give you a 1000 idea's. Just read thru the past posts.

What if they find the hit and run driver, but it turns out it is an illegal alien from Mexico that stole a car, robbed a bank and then died in a shootout with the police. If I'm not mistaken, the illegal alien should have adequate tax-payer funded total insurance.

So you got me thinking and I checked my own auto policy. I have $250,000 person/500,000 accident for Uninsured Motorist/Bodily Injury.

The next line has medical payments $10,000/person.

So in the scenario, my policy would cover upto $250,000? I would think for serious injuries and multiple surgeries, that may not be enough.

And what does the $10,000 for medical payments mean?

The 250/500 isn't bad IF you have medical insurance since it will pretty much fill in the holes for deductibles, copays, out-of-pocket maximums, etc. The 250/500 Uninsured/Underinsured motorist is if someone causes you harm and they were at-fault and their bodily injury limits aren't enough to pay your bills, so your limits kick in to pay the difference. Afterall, your BI is there to pay for someone if YOU HURT THEM. The UM/UIM is there if someone doesn't have good limits for the BI like they should and prevents you being penalized because you did a better job obtaining insurance than the at-fault party.

If you don't have medical insurance but you have the 250/500, and want higher underinsured motorist limits, then purchase an umbrella policy with the UM/UIM endorsement on there (pricey, probably 1.5-2x the price of a normal umbrella) so now you have 1M-5M in coverage. Though, I don't think that is a problem for most people getting such coverage as most likely they have some kind of medical insurance.

The medical payments pay a lump sum to anyone in the car that requests it, regardless of fault. It's easier to get and is beneficial if someone hurts them self on, off, getting in, or getting out of the car. So if you hit a car and your airbag deploys and gives your friend a black eye, he can get up to 10k even though you caused the accident. It's really the only coverage that helps you if you are at-fault and someone gets hurt. Well, the umbrella can help but there is no "standardized" umbrella so you have to read the language and talk to your agent.

Hope that helps!

Back