Writing Business with Ed Gentry ?

What's a CC Company, Ed?

Sorry, it's Credit Card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ed, are you generating the leads totally in house or using a contractor?

Can't recall the guys name, but there was a fellow in nearby Dandridge a few years ago that generated some leads for me. Good quality.

You may know who I am talking about . . . or you may have no idea.

We use both in-house and contractor. I find it takes both to fill orders.

Dandridge, TN? My Dad's from Johnson City, but I don't know of any lead vendors up that way.

Last edited:
Ed, I think his name was Doug. An insurance agent but generated leads for folks outside TN. Can't remember his last name. May find it somewhere . . . eventually.

He is probably 40 - 50 if memory serves me. Also built websites.

FWIW wife and I are from Knoxville. She still has relatives in Morristown, Greeneville, Rogersville.

Ed, I think his name was Doug. An insurance agent but generated leads for folks outside TN. Can't remember his last name. May find it somewhere . . . eventually.

He is probably 40 - 50 if memory serves me. Also built websites.

FWIW wife and I are from Knoxville. She still has relatives in Morristown, Greeneville, Rogersville.

Thanks. I dont know Doug. Sounds like a versatile guy. Had to google FWIW, now I know. It's pretty up that way. Dad was originally from Mountain City. Moved to the 'big city" Johnson City,

If you're going to (continue to) complain, why unearth an eight week old (since last post) thread? What has gone on in the last eight weeks? Have you just smoldered all this time?

You may not realize this, but when a legitimate lead generation organization is telemarketing, they usually use a predictive/power dialer and those can't be used with unlimited long distance plans.

I don't know enough about the situation to know what is really going on here, but there is a cost associated with generating leads and judging from what Ed said coming on here, it sounds like you were expecting him to move more quickly than reasonable. He also said he stopped generating leads because you were filing the dispute with the credit card company.

At the risk of getting on your bad side, it seems like you went from zero to nasty very quickly and that might have only made the situation worse. According to Ed's response above it seems like if you had waited a few more days you would have had fresh leads and may very well have been happily writing business for almost two months at this point.

If I were you, I would be very careful with using the words liar, thief, and dishonest this publicly. If you want to air your grievance than such is your right, but you might be giving Ed Gentry reason to prove defamation which is typically very difficult. This is a very public forum and while you may be justifiably upset, being this nasty about it might be crossing some legal boundaries.

I'm well aware of the laws associated with defamation, and the TRUTH is a defense against this. If Ed had told me originally that it would take some time to generate leads, then i would have been prepared for this. But he led me to believe that the leads would be generated very quickly. In fact, he led me to believe that he was purchasing these leads from an outside vendor. I had NO IDEA that he was trying to generate the leads himself. I have emails from him the week following my having paid him, in which he states that I SHOULD have received leads by that time. This guy has been calling me for over a year now, and NEVER mentioned that he was having problems generating leads. If it was going to take more than a week or two for him to generate leads, then he should have made me aware of that

I'm a big believer in telling folks upfront how long it's going to take, but a week or two is pretty hasty. Did you ask? If we were talking two or three months, different story, but a week or two is a pretty unreasonable expectation.

Regarding the law of defamation, absolutely, truth is a defense. You've called him a thief, a liar, and dishonest. You've also claimed he's lying to the CC company when I strongly doubt you have recordings of the conversation(s) or correspondence between the two.

It's one thing to come on here and say you paid for leads and you didn't get them, it's another to say that he's still disputing it with the CC and still wants to get paid, but to call a guy a liar, a thief, and dishonest because you thought you should have received the leads a week before he was going to have them to you probably is defamation.

What would it take for you to stop stewing over this?
What was the refund policy you were told?

Back