"Ye must become like a child..."

I wanted to share an eye opening experience I had this past week...

My wife was very ill and had to be quarantined while on family vacation with her side of the family, and I was left to care for my 2 1/2 year old by myself for a couple days. The respect I gained for my wife is immense, as I rode the wave from meltdown to meltdown. My wife stays home with our little girl while I work and so things were a little topsy turvy to say the least.

To be brief, I watched this sweet, innocent little angel of mine turn into a master closer of the highest degree. Maggie typically is limited to 1 or 2 packs of fruit snacks per day. She is also mostly supervised by mom. Once she gets that first taste of sweetness, she has a one-track mind and every single thing she says and does is with the thought of these little devilish treats in mind.

I watched her use every tactic in the book. From puppy dog eyes and a sweet little voice muttering, "Daddy, can I have some fruit snacks?" to throwing herself on the floor as if the world was ending to get me to succumb to the pressure. It was truly incredible watching her work to achieve her goal.

As I reflect on this semi-traumatic experience, I think there is something to be gleaned here, and while I don't recommend throwing temper tantrums when we don't get our way, I think we can take a page out of Maggie's book when we are selling.

Every piece of our interactions with our client should have a purpose and direct correlation to the goal in mind. Some would call this "straight line selling," but I would refer to this as merely simplifying our business.

What thing am I doing to make the sale in each and every moment? Am I starting with the end in mind? Or am I aimlessly hoping to strike gold once in awhile?

I think we can over-complicate what we are doing, especially in a format like this where many of us use this as a platform to grow our agencies. We want to peacock and sound smart, strutting around with word after word in hopes to gain admiration and influence.

While I think that it is a good thing to have transparent and helpful content available to agents, I also think that we can trend toward muddying the waters at times.

I think final expense is extremely simple. Not easy. Simple.

Buy leads, run appointments, make sales, repeat.

The client sent the card in for a reason, even if they don't want to admit it. Deep down, they know they need what we have. Every single thing we say and do is with that objective to get the check. This requires us to be professional problem solvers. No appointment will be the same. No amount of prepwork, podcasts, video training or role playing can prepare us for some of the things we will see.

Just pay attention.

What thing do I need to do or say to move the conversation in the direction of protecting a family from a major, inevitable burden?

I think simplifying things a little bit can help us overcome so much to ultimately make more money. There are many successful folks on here with PROVEN systems. We just have to go get in front of people and implement. The rest will take care of itself.

Hope this is helpful.

I watched her use every tactic in the book. From puppy dog eyes and a sweet little voice muttering, "Daddy, can I have some fruit snacks?" to throwing herself on the floor as if the world was ending to get me to succumb to the pressure. It was truly incredible watching her work to achieve her goal.
No way I'd throw myself on the floor to throw a temper tantrum in a FE house. I'm not that desperate for a sale to roll around in dog crap. :no::confused::swoon:

Although BibH said he break danced for his FE clientele. Can you imagine what was in his hair after he got done head spinning? :eek:

I watched her use every tactic in the book. From puppy dog eyes and a sweet little voice muttering, "Daddy, can I have some fruit snacks?" to throwing herself on the floor as if the world was ending to get me to succumb to the pressure. It was truly incredible watching her work to achieve her goal

Kids are often much better at realizing the importance of tonality and body language.

Why?
Because it’s bad for you.
Why?
Because I said so.
Why?
Quit being annoying and go play with your sister?
Why?
Because you are going to bed in 10 minutes.
Why?
Here take the damm candy! Take the whole box!
OK. I’m thirsty too.

My wife always says... "Give a mouse a cookie..."

You have to have had little'ens to understand the above. ;)

Kids have no filters.

And there are a number of adults with the same affliction.

Kids will ask, and ask, and ask never taking no for an answer. They figure they are younger and will outlive you, so eventually you will give in.

They are also masters of manipulation and will not hesitate to do or say something to embarrass you so they can get what they want.

From my perspective if you have to wear down your prospect to make the sale you are doing something wrong.

Just sayin'

Back