Your Thoughts on this Article?

DHK

RFC®, ChFC®, CLU®
5000 Post Club
Health insurance is NOT my expertise in any way. I barely follow the news on this whole debacle. I've heard plenty of stories (mostly from the 'right')... but then I came across this one (that's obviously from the 'left'):

Warning: Insurance companies using Obamacare scare to scam public

I'd like to know your expert opinions on this.

It got me thinking that most consumers are completely uninformed (what else is new?) about their current coverage.

Most don't think they can really "shop"... that they are locked into their current carrier.

What do you think of the part about Consumer Reports finding an appropriate policy for $165/month (compared to the "junk" policy they had before for $54/month)? (And yes, I realize that it's still 300% more than what she was paying.)

Just curious to learn from other experts who actually know what they're talking about in regards to Health Insurance.

Thanks.

More spin from someone who probably has no clue.

The "marketplace" plans are priced exactly the same as an off -exchange plan with the same benefits. The difference is, you MAY qualify for a subsidy that will lower your cost.

Or you may not.

My guess is the ultra low premiums are AFTER subsidy.

And yes, the carriers are telling them they may qualify for a subsidy.

That is the worst writing I've read regarding this fiasco. Do you really think private insurance companies being regulated by the state for a hundred years are all the sudden going to rip off customers?

Companies have to cancel plans that aren't compliant. They then offer replacement plans based on actuarial sound pricing for the new benefits.

I think it hard to be informed on all this Obamacare insurance mess, even for a licensed agent.

This has been posted before, that woman is whacked. She apparently had a go blue, pays $50 towards a doc, free blood work at qwest, $15 bucks toward prescriptions and a free teeth cleaning I believe. That, in my mind was not insurance in the first place, just something someone uninsurable or dirt poor could get without underwriting. She had nothing for outpatient or inpatient.

Okay, so she bought into a "discounted services club" instead of real insurance. Got it.

Thats the saving grace for the left. They can cherry-pick a few of the discount junk policies and wave those examples around at press conferences to say that people were being ripped off and can now get a "good" policy. This allows them to ignore the 50 year old couple who has no need for GI/MC/BC/MHC/etc. and had a perfectly good quality policy that was customized for their particular situation, but now has to pay 400% more.

If you are referring to me as left couldn't really give a ****, what I am saying is they used a woman with nothing to begin with, read the article she thought she had outpatient coverage, WRONG. I have always thought that what they should have done is make the ehb available as rider's and let a person pick and choose and pay for what they needed.

If you are referring to me as left couldn't really give a ****, what I am saying is they used a woman with nothing to begin with, read the article she thought she had outpatient coverage, WRONG. I have always thought that what they should have done is make the ehb available as rider's and let a person pick and choose and pay for what they needed.

That's a brilliant idea!! You would still have the basic package but that 59 year old wouldn't add the maternity rider. I nominate you to replace what's her name. I am serious.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

From the article--
"What’s going on? Diane Barrette is a good example of what’s going on. Barrette, a 56 year old woman from Florida, who claimed on CBS News that her $54 health insurance policy was going to cost $591 a month because of Obamacare, was a victim of exactly the kind of scam that these state agencies are dealing with."

Diane Barrette obviously bought the $54 @ month health policy because she wanted the cheapest thing available. Consumer Reports found her one for $165 on the Exchange, which is still over 300% higher than what she's used to paying. I'm willing to bet that she will not purchase the $165 subsidized policy from the Exchange. She'll probably just go uninsured next year, or find another limited-benefit plan. Those will still be going strong for people like Diane Barrette in states like Florida, that didn't expand Medicaid.
ac

DHK,

The policy she owned was not insurance. It was for low income or uninsurables, who couldn't get any other type of policy, or couldn't afford a full major medical. Either the consumer bought on price only, or the agent coupled it with a hospital/surgical only plan.

The insurance company is required by law to cancel that policy, and provide an ACA policy. Every letter they sent mentioned the subsidies in the marketplace that may be available. But, by law, they had to offer continuation coverage, and the only price they can quote would be full price for a new ACA plan, as the insurance company has no idea about income and subsidy eligibility.

Other companies are allowing clients to repurchase a 2013 plan for another year, showing a lower price than ACA. Once again, it might be the best option, but it depends on income whether a subsidized plan would be better than a 2013 plan. I'm finding that most people are better off with a 2013 plan extension.

Latest posts

Back