Ultra High Deductible - Catastrophic - Health Insurance

kurtjenvb

Hello - we are a family of 7 investigating the option of an ultra-high deductible insurance plan. I read in an old thread that the assumption is that those looking for this type of insurance are wealthy with a lot of extra cash...this is not our situation. We currently pay approximately $15,000 per year in premiums, and then another $7,000 in deductible and co-insurance (a moderately-priced high-deductible small group NJ HSA plan) We would like to find some type of plan that has a deductible comparable to the amount we are currently spending - approximately $20,000 or so. We'd love to pay out of pocket for all of the "small" things, and really only want insurance to cover us for the truly major health expenses. That way, what we don't use, we keep and save. Are there any such plans out there? And if so, what do they typically cost in premiums, and how are they set-up as far as coverage? I know that in NJ we are very limited - I don't think we can get something like this in NJ, but I would be interested in knowing what other states offer along these lines - particularly states in the mid-atlantic region or VA/NC regions. I'd be grateful for any information or advice someone could give me on this topic - just feel like we're throwing good money away each year....Thanks so much. I should mention that we are the employer for our current small group plan - but also interested in individual/family options.

Back