Insuring a Truck During the Winter Months Only?

koolkam89

Hello,

I live in PA in Montgomery County(19001). I have a 2005 GTO, and it is HORRIBLE (lol) in the snow. I've been thinking about getting a truck to drive when it snows. I was wondering if it would be possible to only insure it for the few winter months out of the year, basically Nov-Mar. Would I get charged for the time that it wasn't insured? Can I only insure it for 3 months out of the year without having to pay for the other 9 months that it wasn't insured? Thanks for your help.

Kameron

Need to check your state. In MD without coverge you need to turn your tags in.

Same thing in NY and I would imagine most other states. One thing folks do is switch the plates from one car to the next too and just tell the insurance company and DMV when they make the switch, it's a little easier than getting new plates and turning in the old ones each year.

Hello,

I live in PA in Montgomery County(19001). I have a 2005 GTO, and it is HORRIBLE (lol) in the snow. I've been thinking about getting a truck to drive when it snows. I was wondering if it would be possible to only insure it for the few winter months out of the year, basically Nov-Mar. Would I get charged for the time that it wasn't insured? Can I only insure it for 3 months out of the year without having to pay for the other 9 months that it wasn't insured? Thanks for your help.

Kameron

I am in 19006. I don't do P&C, but John P. is correct. In PA as in MD and most other states you must carry minimum insurance or else turn in your plates. Get a four wheel drive Subaru!

If you have Erie Insurance, they will give you a "lay up" discount of 40% in pa for a vehicle that is in storage for three or more months. Also the state has a seasonal registration that allows you to register your auto for six months at a time. Normally this is for those with collector type autos but there are no restrictions by the state as to who can use the seasonal registration.

If you have Erie Insurance, they will give you a "lay up" discount of 40% in pa for a vehicle that is in storage for three or more months. Also the state has a seasonal registration that allows you to register your auto for six months at a time. Normally this is for those with collector type autos but there are no restrictions by the state as to who can use the seasonal registration.

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. I learned something from your post. As I stated, I am not into P&C.:)

I learned something from this post....We have some southern boys with cars on blocks and homes on wheels...maybe they can get a discount when they are on the blocks.

Back