Rear-Ended Without Experience ... Uber Driver

I got rear ended by a vehicle with alot of speed while driving for uber. ( California )
Thanks be to God I only have minor injuries.

Even though the other car drove into my car from behind ( I think by law he is partly at fault because you always have to have enough distance to the car in front of you to be able to break early enough to avoid an accident ) I feel that it was my fault, because I have not safely switched the lane.

I know that while I'm on the way to pick up a passenger Uber's insurance is responsible.
My question is, would I be able to claim a compensation for earning losses for this week ?

This is a common misconception. On the way to pick up a client Uber has ZERO liability. It's called Phase 1. In which your insurance will not cover you unless you are with Farmers or Mercury. Phase 2 is the livery process and Uber's commercial livery policy picks that up.

This is a common misconception. On the way to pick up a client Uber has ZERO liability. It's called Phase 1. In which your insurance will not cover you unless you are with Farmers or Mercury. Phase 2 is the livery process and Uber's commercial livery policy picks that up.

Actually, this has changed. Uber does provide some liability coverage when the app is on and no passenger is in the car. It is a lower level then when a passenger is in the car though, I'm not sure what the coverage amount is.

Change came about because of some accidents and lawsuits.

Okay, I do know the limts, its 50/100/25 when the app is on.... you can see it at:
https://www.uber.com/driver-jobs/

Dan

Actually, this has changed. Uber does provide some liability coverage when the app is on and no passenger is in the car. It is a lower level then when a passenger is in the car though, I'm not sure what the coverage amount is.

Change came about because of some accidents and lawsuits.

Okay, I do know the limts, its 50/100/25 when the app is on.... you can see it at:
https://www.uber.com/driver-jobs/

Dan

Thanks for the update! That's really interesting. At MGB Insurance Services LLC we made the choice not to touch it. I can't imagine what it would do to profitability if we brought on a fleet of un-skilled, non-bonded part time taxi cab drivers. Accidents galore!

Back