Elder law mail piece - Works Great

It is not the one call close that bothers me. I have sold a lot of products on a one call close. It was always preceded by setting a formal appointment. I have never shown up on the doorstep or went door to door selling insurance or financial advice. I could not do that, and I am not convinced that it is professional or appropriate.

I know annuities and the benefits they offer. I am not saying the product was inappropriate or unsuitable since we have no way to qualify the client from a message board, but...I am not sure I consider the approach professional.

An authority on lead generation and appointment setting is Don Runge, and Don teaches salesmen to do exactly what insureyou2 did. Don't call, stop by the house with the lead card and talk your way into the home or simply set an appointment for later. It works, I am just not comfortable with it and would not do it...unless insureyou2 posts back that he has sold a million in premium in the next 2 weeks :yes:

I agree that is may not be my style, but that hardly makes it unprofessional. If it works for him and the clients are interested and choose to buy, I see no issues. (Assuming nothing is being done unethically or illegally)

I mean, if I chose to go door-to-door and someone invited me in, they liked a product I told them about, and I had the ability to the write it then, I would do it.

Of course, the thinking is a true professional would not carry info on every carrier and plan he represents on each sales call. I'm thinking this is a much better technique for a captive agent and I see where it could come off as pushing a product.

I agree that insureyou2 should post some additional details.

My concerns have nothing to do with how big a briefcase full of products he carries or whether he is captive or independent. I am not questioning his professionalism. I am wondering aloud and discussing whether it represents the degree of professionalism the insurance and financial planning industries should be presenting to the general public.

If it hypothetically were my parents that bought the annuity under those circumstances I would advise they cancel it and weigh all of their options with more consideration.

I try to always have brochures and apps on the products I really like. I have a final expense that I use mostly, a whole life that I tend to use, and a UL that I really like, and a term policy that I like, JH LTC for the most part, and a fixed annuity that I use. Those are the things that I always have in the trunk of my car.

Now if the situation calls for a FIA, there is almost always a follow up meeting. And if there is a condition or situation where I don't think my usual carriers or products are good for, then once again there is a second appointment. But I try to always be prepared for most situations.

And I don't think door knocking is unprofessional either. I hate to have a lead card requesting info that I can't reach on the phone or won't respond to a letter that I sent them. I definitely try to reach each lead in one way or another. If they request info, then I feel like I really need to talk to them to see if I can help out. I think you have to be proactive and work a lead with a sense of urgency. Also, it works for edward jones, which it seems that a good percentage of the people I see have thier brokerage account with.

I dunno. I need to think about this and maybe rethink it. I can certainly see where it would be an effective way to use lead cards. I'm just not sure I am comfortable with it personally.

Successful agents do what other agents aren't comfortable doing! I'm sure that insureyou2 would encourage you to stay in your office and ponder whether or not it is a professional approach while he goes out to help people implement financial products, bettering their financial situations, and making money for he and his family.

At the end of the day, you need to ask yourself, "did I help anybody improve their financial situation today?"

Only you can answer that question---just my 2 cents!

This will be tough to explain but I'll try.

There's nothing wrong or unethical with simply going out and knocking on doors - as long as you're in compliance with your carriers, DOI and local ordinances.

However, I find it "ethical gray area" to knock on someone's door who replied to a mailer. Those prospects are expecting a call, not an agent to show up.

I would be taken aback if I filled out any type of mailer, then a few days later an agent knocks on my door.

This will be tough to explain but I'll try.

There's nothing wrong or unethical with simply going out and knocking on doors - as long as you're in compliance with your carriers, DOI and local ordinances.

However, I find it "ethical gray area" to knock on someone's door who replied to a mailer. Those prospects are expecting a call, not an agent to show up.

I would be taken aback if I filled out any type of mailer, then a few days later an agent knocks on my door.

Thats what I was trying to get at and failed miserably :yes:

Interest can be withdrawan as frequently as monthly. The company is North American. About $6.6B in assets I believe.

In my opinion they are a very good company. The options are with that particular product to draw interest and/or 10 pct penalty free per year.

Last edited:
Back