Breaking Into a New Area

99% of those agents that drive 1000 plus miles a week burn out fast and start recruiting. Its virtually impossible to keep that up. Agent 5 i think you're a perfect example of this.

Yep, too many times over the years I've wondered whether I was a salesman or just an overly dressed truck driver. Figured "driving truck" might be less stressful as at least I'd get guaranteed pay and maybe some "bennies".:yes::laugh:

I normally drive an hour and a half to 2 and a half hours away and pretty much always spend the night. Rather than spending 4 hours driving back and forth, I prefer to get a nice hotel room and go out for a nice dinner and drinks and then get a good night sleep. The next day I usually work from 11 to 3 and then get home by 5.

I will admit that when you schedule appointments two days out you will get stood up more. But I always have leads that never answer the phone and use the stood up time to work them.

I just spent a day and a half on the road. I will write off the following items

Hotel $150
dinner & drinks $50
mileage 550
lead costs $150
aspirin and V8 juice $7
mouth wash $5

I wrote $114, 57, 45, 39 and 25. It was a soft day and a half which is usually the case when I start a new territory. it takes a few weeks to get the lay of the land and learn the new talk. Because we all know they all talk differently!

Last edited:
I normally drive an hour and a half to 2 and a half hours away and pretty much always spend the night. Rather than spending 4 hours driving back and forth, I prefer to get a nice hotel room and go out for a nice dinner and drinks and then get a good night sleep. The next day I usually work from 11 to 3 and then get home by 5.

I will admit that when you schedule appointments two days out you will get stood up more. But I always have leads that never answer the phone and use the stood up time to work them.

I just spent a day and a half on the road. I will write off the following items

Hotel $150
dinner & drinks $50
mileage 550
lead costs $150
aspirin and V8 juice $7
mouth wash $5

I wrote $114, 57, 45, 39 and 25. It was a soft day and a half which is usually the case when I start a new territory. it takes a few weeks to get the lay of the land and learn the new talk. Because we all know they all talk differently!

where you working now in the Great State NFL, and how many leads do you get for $150, go PaTs!

Just started this week in Battle Creek. I have worked there 2 times in the past 8 years for a total of about 7 months. It has never been a barn burner of an area for me. This will be the first time working DM leads in this area. Hopefully that will help.

I put $150 for leads because I usually spend around 7k a year in leads. I am not the most organized guy in this business when it comes to buying leads. When I go to a new area I might order 2 or three thousand drops and then about every 3 weeks I will order a 1000 more. while I would agree I might be better off spending more consistently, I don't ever want it where I have so many leads to work I get lazy and don't work them properly.

I just left Muskegon after 7 months and I am pretty sure I have 50 or more leads that I was never able to contact via phone or door knocking.

You said you spent $150 for leads last week. It sounds like you do 1000 piece mail drops? You must not be spending $450/1000 per drop. Somebody has to be helping you with the cost. If you spend $7k a year($580 a month) thats only about 20 leads a month at a 1.5% return rate or even a $29 fixed lead cost. The ap you quote is $3-$4 k at times. Your Roi would be 30 which is impossible. Out of those 5 leads you'll never get in touch with 2 of them.

You said you spent $150 for leads last week. It sounds like you do 1000 piece mail drops? You must not be spending $450/1000 per drop. Somebody has to be helping you with the cost. If you spend $7k a year($580 a month) thats only about 20 leads a month at a 1.5% return rate or even a $29 fixed lead cost. The ap you quote is $3-$4 k at times. Your Roi would be 30 which is impossible. Out of those 5 leads you'll never get in touch with 2 of them.

Ok "Ernst & Young" ;) The fly in your ointment is the return. In Michigan it's generally 2.5 -3% gusting to 4%

BINGO!!!!!

I don't keep track of the numbers other than what's off the top of my head. I found out about 35 years ago a simple little fact that many posters here on this site should learn.

If I spend less time calculating my ROI, CPL, BPS etc.; and more time analyzing what went wrong at the last house.

I seem to make more money!

Gee whizz Wally!

and my mistake; I did spend $15,137 on leads according to the last 2 years tax returns. SNL lead credits paid for the rest. TY T.O.

And now some guy will come on her and tell me I spent more than $15,137on leads because if I wasn't getting the lead credits I could have made more than 125%. It seems like somebody is always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Even $15k is peanuts on leads. I spend $80k. The theme is Michigan looks like easy pickens and maybe its time to move there.I'll work the ghettos of Detroit.

The 15k was for 2 years not one. I have never worked Detroit. I do know a guy who made a living for ten years working Detroit and never went more than 25 miles from home. He is now doing mostly annuities and making a killing.

I heard Detroit is getting much better so maybe I should buy some leads there and just see how it goes. But I am a country boy and do not like the big city. I will admit most of the areas I work are pretty much worked over. Replacement's are happening more and more all the time.

Back