First Day Out Canvassing Few Questions.

I sent you my market survey. I have been using it for YEARS and it works perfectly. You decided to change it and add all sorts of unnecessary things, so now I see why it's not working for you.

You forgot the first rule of most insurance agents. If it works, stop! Keep changing it until it doesn't work anymore.

You forgot the first rule of most insurance agents. If it works, stop! Keep changing it until it doesn't work anymore.

I wish I could give you 2 thumbs up for this post.

Its baffles me when I talk to agents about different marketing strategies and even when something works they either stop doing it or try something different...

No need to reinvent the wheel.

There is nothing wrong with using the survey but most old time canvassers would consider it a crutch. However, if it gives you more courage than just cold canvassing then by all means, do it. I tried it a time or two but did not find it any more effective than just knocking on the door and starting a conversation. I notice you're talking about calling back. Canvassing should be aimed at getting to sit down and make a presentation NOW.. If they won't agree to that, then set a definite appointment within the next couple of days. If they don't agree to that, get what information you can about the neighbors, thank them and move on..

There is nothing wrong with using the survey but most old time canvassers would consider it a crutch. However, if it gives you more courage than just cold canvassing then by all means, do it. I tried it a time or two but did not find it any more effective than just knocking on the door and starting a conversation. I notice you're talking about calling back. Canvassing should be aimed at getting to sit down and make a presentation NOW.. If they won't agree to that, then set a definite appointment within the next couple of days. If they don't agree to that, get what information you can about the neighbors, thank them and move on..

Being an old time canvasser myself, I agree with you. I tried it once and felt like I was trying to be sneaky. Like you say, get the appointment for NOW...you're already here, and you have their interest. When you come back later for your appointment they might have changed their mind. :yes:

Being an old time canvasser myself, I agree with you. I tried it once and felt like I was trying to be sneaky. Like you say, get the appointment for NOW...you're already here, and you have their interest. When you come back later for your appointment they might have changed their mind. :yes:

Several reasons it is useful....

What if you are leaving an appointment and you are running late for your next one, but you see the neighbors out in the yard next door?* You can swing in and get a quick survey done and get on to your next appointment.* Then at least you have a new "lead" to check back with.

Also another thing to think about...If you see 20 people cold knocking, you MIGHT get inside at 5 of them and present 2 of them.

If you get 20 surveys done, the numbers work about the same (usually better) than DM.* So you will get 10-12 appointments and close 4-5 of them.

Also going into what they have on a cold knock usually eliminates making an add on sale.* It usually only gets you business on replacing (which is fine).* But when you get appointments and go back from the survey, you are able to pitch it just as a normal lead.

"What we typically run into when someone answers these surveys and then set an appointment is for one of three reasons....."* Then you get their WHY...

I will be the first to say that there is no comparison to DM leads PERIOD.* But I have found that agents are far more successful with this instead of just cold knocking to try to get a sale.

How often do you think about Death and dying and the importance of planning for the future?_____________________________________________________

For real . . . ?

Its baffles me when I talk to agents about different marketing strategies and even when something works they either stop doing it or try something different...

No need to reinvent the wheel.

This was my problem . . . Not just about Insurance but all businesses I had . . .

What if you are leaving an appointment and you are running late for your next one, but you see the neighbors out in the yard next door?* You can swing in and get a quick survey done and get on to your next appointment.* Then at least you have a new "lead" to check back with.

Also another thing to think about...If you see 20 people cold knocking, you MIGHT get inside at 5 of them and present 2 of them.

If you get 20 surveys done, the numbers work about the same (usually better) than DM.* So you will get 10-12 appointments and close 4-5 of them.

Also going into what they have on a cold knock usually eliminates making an add on sale.* It usually only gets you business on replacing (which is fine).* But when you get appointments and go back from the survey, you are able to pitch it just as a normal lead.

"What we typically run into when someone answers these surveys and then set an appointment is for one of three reasons....."* Then you get their WHY...

I will be the first to say that there is no comparison to DM leads PERIOD.* But I have found that agents are far more successful with this instead of just cold knocking to try to get a sale.

I guess it has a lot to do with your comfort zone. There are many ways to skin that darned cat. ;)

Sometimes I'm thinking as a Med Supp guy while discussing FE. I expect a replacement on every presentation...then I'll try to add on with the money I saved them.

Once in the house, after a very short "warm-up" I do just that. I start the presentation, " Most people that agree to talk with me do so for one of three reasons." From there it flows just like a normal presentation.

Back