First Day Out Canvassing Few Questions.

Thanks for the advice. Still learning so it's appreciated.

Just remember most of the big hitters in FE work direct mail leads. You can make a better than average living in FE by canvasing, working referrals or any of the other prospecting methods but you are not likely to become a 10 percenter.

I wish I could give you 2 thumbs up for this post.

Its baffles me when I talk to agents about different marketing strategies and even when something works they either stop doing it or try something different...

No need to reinvent the wheel.

I don't think I've ever met an agent (or sales person in general) who didn't try to get better, but got worse because they did one thing after another that didn't really work. Subtle changes here and there and the next thing you know you're 10 miles off your game. I know I've found myself having to go back to the basics more than once!

Knocked about 30 doors in a trailer park filled out 20 surveys, 13 people gave me their numbers gonna follow up, only 3 seemed somewhat interested. I took pretty good notes for the CRM. Gonna go back out next week for a couple days, next time gonna have a targeted list and laminated mailer.

Instead of doing the Survey, I suggest

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, my name is (agent). My purpose for coming by today is because I am personally conducting a survey to evaluate the needs, interests, and opinions about financial planning as it relates to Life Insurance. All I need is about 2 minutes of your time to ask a few questions.

Name_________________________Size Of Family______________ Marital Status______________

How often do you think about Death and dying and the importance of planning for the future?________________________________________________________________________
What do you feel is the purpose for Life Insurance?___________________________________
Do you believe an individual can leave their family too much Life Insurance?______________
What is your primary choice when purchasing Life Insurance? (Telephone, Office, Door To Door Agent)__________________________________________________________________
How do you feel about door to door Insurance Agents?________________________________
On a scale from 1-10 how would you rate your knowledge of Insurance Products?___________
If the breadwinner of your home passed away what financial shape would your family be left in?__________________________________________________________________________
Do you currently have Life Insurance?________If Yes Who is Your Provider?______________
Do you have a Life Insurance Agent you see on a regular basis?__________________________
When was the last time you reviewed your coverages with an Insurance Agent?_____________
If the breadwinner of your home become terminally Ill would your Insurance Payments be paid to warrant that you don't lose coverage?_____________________________________________
Is your current insurance policy a level benefit or decreasing benefit?_____________________
Does your insurance premiums remain the same for your whole life or do your premiums increase after a certain age in life?_________________________________________________
Do you feel like you pay too much for Life Insurance?_________________________________
What do you feel would be a much more reasonable price for your Life Insurance?__________

Thanks for taking the timeMr./Mrs. ______ to answer these questions.

Would you mind if Icontacted you in a few days to evaluate your current policies and/or offer some freequotes?_____________________________________________________________________ ___

Address______________________________________Age________________________________ __

Tobacco_________________________Current Health Conditions_____________________________

Telephone number___________________________email:___________________________________

----------

Thanks i have to work my regular job then.

Tony, listen to the advice you are getting. Prospecting by door to door is difficult. If you insist on doing it get with someone who has been successful with it to teach you. This survey is SO wrong. I don't think you could make a worse one.

You don't want to discuss most of this stuff you are asking on a porch (standing up) at all. If you are going to survey people you want three question MAX. And you don't want to qualify the on the porch.

You have ONE goal when door knocking. Get invited in. That's it. Do NOT qualify people until you are in the house sitting down.

It's great that you are a go getter. But you are definitely needing to change your approach. Door knocking is such a hard and ineffective way to make sales. Don't make it even harder than it already is.

Guys his survey was taken from this site. It was used by an agent who experienced a lot of success with it.

I'm not saying its the best, I'm just saying he didn't pull it out of thin air.

If you're referring to me, you're wrong. I gave him my survey, but that's definitely not mine.

Well I'm definitely not referring to you then :)

I don't think you've ever posted yours here.

The guy whose survey it is was very successful, he went into commercial insurance or something. He was before my time, but that's what I heard.

Guys his survey was taken from this site. It was used by an agent who experienced a lot of success with it.

I'm not saying its the best, I'm just saying he didn't pull it out of thin air.

No. go back and read that thread. That agent who took my 3-question survey and turned it into a 10-question mess was doing the same thing that Tony is here doing.

What they both did wrong is focus on the wrong goal.

The goal is to size up quickly if the person is responding to you in the right way. That's it. See if the person is responding in a way that you WANT to sit down with them in their home or move on to the next door. That happens within seconds.

What he is doing wrong is changing the goal to a fact finding and qualifying session. Don't do that. That's inside the home stuff.

All you want to do on the porch is peak their interest slightly, and decide if you want to spend time with them. If so, get in the door.

Back