Forum Advice

G

I have been reading some older threads to catch up and get more acquainted and I noticed a commonality throughout several posts.

Many people get offended, or offended others. Some intentionally, some not.
I of course was one of those who fell into both groups until I gained understanding and insight into myself and how things work on the forum.

I think these are some issues:

First, you can't read into text, you don't know the emotion behind it unless there's an LOL attached. And after getting offended, you possibly can't tell if someone is still joking or now being serious in their effort to help in ensuing posts.

Also, the forum is a click of sorts, many people know each other for a long while and can kid around, tease and lash out like a family would. Like throwing a bowl of pasta at your head.

The problem there is that when a newbie comes along and expects a different environment, and then gets hit over the head by the banter (pasta), even though the good advice and years of knowledge is posted, they don't absorb it because it can seem like they're being hazed, ridiculed or dismissed.

I saw a "thin skin" reference like 7 or 8 times. We all have to take responsibility for our actions, if we offend someone, we did it, it's not that they are thin skinned, it's that maybe we hit a nerve, and we need to assume fault, not pass blame.

We're all here to have a community, people who understand what we go through, to help each other grow and thrive, stay educated, share war stories, share the "can you believe that customer" accounts and just keep each other encouraged.

So let's get out of our own way and rock this!!!!!
:cool:

I hope I didn't offend anyone, LOL!!

I'm from New York, Long Beach, not Long Branch, LOL!!!

We all have to take responsibility for our actions, if we offend someone, we did it, it's not that they are thin skinned, it's that maybe we hit a nerve, and we need to assume fault, not pass blame.

You might listen to Dr. Laura a little more and Dr. Phil Kleenex a little less. Man you are thin skinned. Whats up with all of the heavy analysis. We are just a group of zambonis here sharing some professional information and horsing around a little too. No one ended out on a heart-lung machine or anything. Sounds to me like you are easily disabled or knocked off balance if you are misunderstood. Get over it. You are not that important. We are not that important.

Winter

Before I started posting on this site, I read quite a few post, probably more than half trying to get some insight into the business. I noticed real quick that this site is not for the "thin skinned". At first I was kind of surprised, but as I continued to read I noticed that it did have a little bit of locker room mentality. Pretty much everyone is fair game and newbies (such as myself) have a big target. So be it.

I figure I stay around for a while though, it doesn't bother me and I figure, hell I can dish it out also if I want.

Before I started posting on this site, I read quite a few post, probably more than half trying to get some insight into the business. I noticed real quick that this site is not for the "thin skinned". At first I was kind of surprised, but as I continued to read I noticed that it did have a little bit of locker room mentality. Pretty much everyone is fair game and newbies (such as myself) have a big target. So be it.

I figure I stay around for a while though, it doesn't bother me and I figure, hell I can dish it out also if I want.

If you had older brothers you wont even notice most of it :)

Winter

You might listen to Dr. Laura a little more and Dr. Phil Kleenex a little less. Man you are thin skinned. Whats up with all of the heavy analysis. We are just a group of zambonis here sharing some professional information and horsing around a little too. No one ended out on a heart-lung machine or anything. Sounds to me like you are easily disabled or knocked off balance if you are misunderstood. Get over it. You are not that important. We are not that important.

Winter

Try reading the post knucklehead.

Also, the forum is a click of sorts, many people know each other for a long while and can kid around, tease and lash out like a family would. Like throwing a bowl of pasta at your head.

So let's get out of our own way and rock this!!!!!

Back