Is GMail Okay for my Email Related to Insurance?

keith48

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Georgia
I just got pounded by a guy from GoDaddy when I was trying to fix a problem with an email forwarding address that was not directing properly. He chastised me for forwarding to GMail and started scolding me about regulations, privacy, HIPAA, etc. I told him he could talk to me if he would like, but he was not going to scold me like I was some child. He continued his scathing conversation, so I just hung up.

I figured you guys would be able to help before I dug further elsewhere as to whether I should be concerned about what he said when using GMail. I know my first step may be to find a new hosting provider with that kind of treatment - whether he was right or not, that is not the way to treat customers. But I need to know if he was indeed right about that.

And while I'm on the subject, I would like to have access to client info while on the road. Can I store client info on a cloud service like Dropbox without violating HIPAA laws? And if not, is there a cloud service that is HIPAA compliant?

Thanks for the help!

What client info do you use on gmail. I use gmail but almost all the interaction is not super sensitive. It might have their first name and their rx's but not SS number.

I use it for all correspondence. I would not send personal information through email as that is not secure no matter who the provider is.

gmail, as used for a business makes you look cheap, unprofessional and makes me question if the business is real.

Its cheap to get your own domain

gmail, as used for a business makes you look cheap, unprofessional and makes me question if the business is real.

Its cheap to get your own domain

I would agree with this. You can get a domain & hosting with free email for $100-$200 per year. You can even pay monthly. If you cant afford that why would someone want to do business with you?

My 10 year old uses a gmail account....

That being said I use a corporate gmail account and love it... but its different than a normal personal gmail account.

Last edited:
I'm also curious to know whether or not there are any security or privacy concerns with GMail. We use a GMail server with our own domain.

Thanks.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I use hotmail. I use an email alias with hotmail, so they see DHK @ DHK.com versus DHK @ gmail.com.

I use two-step verification to log in directly to the website. This helps prevent unauthorized access by nearly anyone. For using it with my desktop Outlook application, I use an "app specific" password.

Also, if I need to communicate with an insurance company, many have their own encrypted ZixCorp email systems.

I don't store anything confidential on email servers. All of that is kept in my CRM (Act 2012) on the desktop.

If you're looking for online storage that is "HIPAA compliant"... I *believe* that cubby.com is compliant, as well as the paid versions of box.com. Just double check for yourself.

Man some of you put a lot of value in having a domain and email that isn't from one of the freebies. As if it makes the potential client think more highly of you. While a mistake, I've been using my internet provider email (Charter) for 17+ years. I don't have a web presence and I have no problems gaining clients on a weekly basis (virtually all from referrals). I have yet to have a potential client frown upon me for not having a "special" email address and a web presence.

That isn't to say I don't see value in having a "special" email and web presence. I just don't think it adds the value (nor hurts for not having it) that some of you claim it does. I keep threatening to get a website. I've even paid for the url, but I just haven't pulled the trigger (pure laziness).

And the mistake I referenced earlier is that by having my email address with my ISP, it will take some work to get all my clients used to a different email if/when I change ISP's. It would have been much better in the beginning had I set up an email away from my ISP. I can certainly see value in that regard, but I don't see it impacting potential business if it's Charter, gmail or most any other provider. I'm sure some of you will disagree, but it hasn't hurt me one bit.

Back