Good and Bad with Humana

jeniker72

Expert
I recently heard that Humana sets appointments for their agents but they're not paid high commissions and no renewals, does anyone have any scoop on what it's like to work for Humana?

I"m not an health agent, but I watched about 20 mins on paid programming on Humana, and how I could buy it direct off of the tv program. It seems like they do a lot of branding of their name and also push the prospects to just call in direct and avoid the agent.

I met with a captive Humana agent recently who was a nice lady. She made the same commissions on their Medicare Advantage plans as I do as an independent. She got company leads and I think they were at no cost.

She could NOT sell other companies which would be a problem for me. Humana is not always the best choice.

She also was under a lot of pressure to sell Humana's health plans and graded benefit life insurance FE plans which were not priced too well. If she doesn't meet quota with those products she gets a huge cut on her renewals.

She seemed pretty happy overall and made a good living. She has been with them 4-years.

I appreciate your input. Like I stated, I was told they had a lead generation system where they could do the scope of appointment over the phone and pretty much secure the appointment, you go in and close. Sounds pretty good to me but there must be a downfall?

ANYONE can voice record their SOA's. Number one, go find any internet voicemail provider (there are a lot) then buy a voicemail acct. Get one that forwards the recording to your email. Set your message to just an immediate silence, then the tone. Take your phone, 3 way call the voicemail, and record the SOA. It costs you about 10 dollars a month in overhead depending on the voicemail vendor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Downfall with Humana.. In Tennessee at least in my area they have a HORRID reputation, and some of the major hospitals won't take their PFFS. Like in Crossville TN that would be an issue, they only have 1 hospital and the next closest major hospital is probably 30 minutes away.

Last edited:
In Western Illinois the PFFS for Humana did not make a good impression with their clients. The premium jumped from $20 a month in 2009 to $123 a month for 2010. If I was captive in this area, I would have to find something else to do.

Back