Google to Sell Insurance

scooter33

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
As I'm sure you have all heard Google will be selling personal lines P&C in a matter of months. I would to hear what your thoughts are?

I wonder if this will affect advertisers on Google - conflict of interest?

I'm sure they have all the data, so they know better than anyone. From what I see, seems like the competition are the insurance agencies and not the carriers. The carriers are going to be working with Google as their insurers. I don't know... This does not look good!

Eh...to me, seems like it might be one of those things that sounds worse than it really is.

Is Google really going to be able to take away the prospects that you're going after? Or just the bottom-line price shoppers? Plus, I would think a living, breathing individual would still have to be in contact with the prospect prior to the sale somewhere along the way...in my experience, people shopping online want it to be without human contact. I don't know that there's really a way around that, is there? I don't know how it works with companies with a large online presence like Progressive or GEICO, to be honest.

I get probably a dozen internet leads a month from one of my carriers, and I can never even get an answer from 90% of them. And I even email them if they don't answer their phones! The only ones I actually sell are the live phone transfers. So you've really just got to ask yourself, are the people surfing websites instead of calling really prospects you're selling, or that you even WANT anyway?

Last edited:
I've been doing this for 26 years now and every few years there's been "something" that will end the need for agents, yet here we are.

I would imagine he next 26 will have the same perils to agents, but I would bet money there still will be agents. Adapt or die, always been the rule of nature and business.

I'm thinking for the 30ish and under crowd google will be their first stop. They(my experience) never seem to want to talk to anyone.

And just think of how much Google knows about them (us) already, they can target them with individually specific ads.

I don't think this is the end of the agent, just a continuing slow erosion.

Back