Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions

Reply to I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent     
Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

State: Usfbulls25 is an Insurance Agent from Florida
I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent
I have been in the P&C business (Claims-Management) for 15 years. I am very familiar with the P&C product. I am thinking about becoming and Allstate agent in the Florida market.

I wanted to get opinions from past or current Allstate agents. What is the culture like? I am a very inner-driven person; so how can that carry over into becoming an Allstate agent along with making $?

Any suggestions?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Guru

State: FL P&C Broker is an Insurance Agent from Florida
I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent Re: I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent
I would do your due diligence when looking into Allstate or any captive P&C company. All the captive agents are getting killed right now with all the home owners non-renewals.

I just sold a policy to an Allstate agency owner if that tells you anything.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Guru
xrac on I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent - Insurance Forum

State: xrac is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
xrac is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent Re: I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent
If you read the things about Allstate that I have read I think you will reconsider.

Allstate Agency

X
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #4

State: Usfbulls25 is an Insurance Agent from Florida
I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent Re: I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent Usfbulls25 is the thread starter for: I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent

I previously read those posts, but they are about 2 years old. I was wondering if the climate has changed. I know agents in Florida can broker HO policies. I definately would by an existing book and then grow the business.

I guess I am more concerned with the cross selling of financial products verus just focusing on the P&C side.

They told me that I need to obtain my series 6 within 2 years.

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   Type the result for 11 x 3 I agree to forum rules 

Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Guru
xrac on I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent - Insurance Forum

State: xrac is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
xrac is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Have you ever saw the RunningClock news letter? If not I suggest you subscribe Runningclock@aol.com. Also go here and read: New Agent Center | National Association of Professional Allstate Agents, Inc..

X
Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Guru
Tampa Bay Rep on I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent - Insurance Forum

State: Tampa Bay Rep is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
If you are considering joining Allstate you may want to speak with Billy Williams with InspireAnation.com. He could cover pros and cons with you.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Guru

State: FL P&C Broker is an Insurance Agent from Florida
[quote=Usfbulls25;366263] I know agents in Florida can broker HO policies.
quote]

Why not go independent then and get the whole commission?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

State: houstonagent is an Insurance Agent from Texas
I hear you should run from Allstate. I can't be comfortable with a company that "fires" you after building a book of businesses and deciding to sit on it. That's one of the perks of selling insurance. Grow a big book, hire a team and a office manager and let them run it.
Those "Good Hands" are Pimp Hands...
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Super Genius
CaptiveBroke(r) on I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent - Insurance Forum

State: CaptiveBroke(r) is an Insurance Agent from New York
I am a retired Allstate agent working as an independent now. Sold my BOB after over 27 years.

Was a good marriage for me but for new hires, it's an uphill battle with expected results always hanging over your head.

Could be a very successful experience if you are willing to spend money to get your numbers. Make certain you do a business plan and that you have enough capital to make it work.

What do you mean by "inner driven"?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Super Genius

State: USF3983 is an Insurance Agent from Florida
NEGATORY!!!

They may offer attractive incentives for new agents but after awhile you become a slave as far as I know.

My agent's father has been an agent for 25+ years and he's always fuming about what they require of him. Recently they have had many rate increases. They create new products and shut down old ones. The restrictions are rediculous right now. You might as well not call Allstate for a rate unless you have excellent credit and 100/300 prior limits for 20 years straight with 0 tickets and accidents.

My agent started an independent agency from scratch after working under his dad for a few years. His father would start an independent agency if he had to do it all over again. I couldn't tell you about other captive agencies.

Independent agencies have their own flaws though. I think the support you get from starting a captive agency is really good though.
Reply to I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions