LifeHealthPro, ProducersWeb Brands, Mags Shuttered

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
You may or may not have noticed that the LifeHealthPro.com website is no more as of today – it’s content has been integrated into a “life/health channel” on ThinkAdvisor. Same thing happens to ProducersWeb on Friday.

Also, the March issue was the final one for National Underwriter Life & Health magazine, ending what had been a 120-year run in some form (although NU’s P&C edition is still publishing). Retirement Advisor magazine too – which started as Senior Market Advisor in 2000.

Change happens. Industry print magazines have been shrinking for years as reader preferences have adapted to the times, and advertisers have migrated to digital. But it’s still kinda sad that some longtime titles that used to be very important resources for tons of producers are becoming extinct. Also sad that almost all of the colleagues I worked with over there just four years ago are now gone.

As I have a history with these products, I posted a commentary with more background at the link below. Please check it out if interested, and share your thoughts here about the demise of industry print titles – or even the strategy to kill the LifeHealthPro and Pweb brands in favor of a channel on ThinkAdvisor.

For our part, Insurance Forums is happy to remain dedicated to serving the needs of the independent insurance producer distribution channel with discussion and content focused on the issues that matter most to you.

Insurance Forums | Industry trade media brands disappearing: A closer look

The magazines abandoned articles that would address the average agent and made articles relating to the upper income market almost their sole focus. They moved from "agents" to "advisors"..... They need to go back and see what Insurance Selling was doing in the 70s and 80s.

The magazines abandoned articles that would address the average agent and made articles relating to the upper income market almost their sole focus. They moved from "agents" to "advisors"..... They need to go back and see what Insurance Selling was doing in the 70s and 80s.

Good point. Those Life Insurance Selling issues in the 70s and 80s were so chock full of great stuff contributed by so many agents it was amazing. When I was editor there I used to go back through the archives and be amazed at the case studies and idea sharing through little quick-hitter things like "Points That Help You Sell" and "Million Dollar Sales Ideas." 200+ pages were the norm for each issue.

I would agree industry mags migrated to tilt too much toward "aspirational" articles about elite producers and HNW markets while not paying enough attention to challenges facing the typical agent.

Good point. Those Life Insurance Selling issues in the 70s and 80s were so chock full of great stuff contributed by so many agents it was amazing. When I was editor there I used to go back through the archives and be amazed at the case studies and idea sharing through little quick-hitter things like "Points That Help You Sell" and "Million Dollar Sales Ideas." 200+ pages were the norm for each issue.

I would agree industry mags migrated to tilt too much toward "aspirational" articles about elite producers and HNW markets while not paying enough attention to challenges facing the typical agent.

I wish I didn't throw away all my issues...wonder where I can find a copy of them all online (just thinking out loud)

I found the quote in your article attributed to Donald H. Clark interesting...

(The Magazine) "does not merely aim to amuse you, to help you while away an idle hour. It has a definite and distinct purpose – it will try to increase your pep, inspire your insurance mind, and help you sell more insurance… The entire editorial contents each month will be devoted to articles on life insurance – and how to sell it.”

That is a magazine I read from cover to cover and found it to be exactly what he aspired his magazine to be. It was entertaining , informative and filled with information the average agent could use.

You also quoted Allison Bell, "Regulations, technology, business models, distribution methods, and client needs and expectations are shifting, especially in the life/health market, where agents and brokers find themselves moving to fee-based compensation arrangements,” . Few middle market agents are moving to fee based. Her statement tells me the magazines will continue to be aimed at the agents who serve the HNW clients and they are, by far, in the minority.

There is a place for "Financial Advisor" magazine but there is also a place and a need for a good old fashioned "Life Insurance Selling" magazine built on the model developed by Mr. Clark.

Last edited:
Nothing against ThinkAdvisor, but I find it amazing that the retail life/health/annuity industry will no longer have a dedicated, robust news source. Surely this is ah opportunity an upstart, lean outlet might pursue.

I used to require all agents on my staff to subscribe to Life Insurance Selling. Along the way, as Louis mentioned, they stopped serving agents like us - real life "in the trenches" family market agents. I eventually stopped requiring it or even recommending it.

I think the same thing happened with our association when it changed from NALU to NAIFA. When I started my career, all agents in the company were required to join NALU. By the time I left in 2004, only a couple of us were still members. The company had long ceased requiring or even encouraging membership, because the organization had become generally irrelevant to the market our group was serving.

That's why I appreciate what you've done here with the Insurance Forums, Brian. It's a lot more "Wild West" than some of our resources in the past, but it serves the same purpose in inspiring, educating and motivating agents with great information and camaraderie. If I were still managing, I'd require every agent to join!

Back