One Card System

I think we used that before computers were invented......I will check with Frank.......

I think we used that before computers were invented......I will check with Frank.......

Back then we used stone tablets but you had to be careful not to get your fingers smashed when looking through them and they were really difficult to carry around when going on appointments. I did get pretty good with a hammer and chisel though.

The one card system would be fine if there was only one card. I use to use 4x6 index cards set up in an awesome cross referenced system of file boxes. As long as they stayed where they were suppose to be and I put each one back where it belonged before taking another one out I was fine.

However, I would always end up with more of them stacked in piles on my desk than in the appropriate boxes. I spent more time looking for cards than I did prospecting. For me it wasn't any better than keeping sticky notes on the wall next to my desk.

1. Go out and buy a bunch of 4X6 cards and a box which they fit in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2. Get a calendar also, month by month.
3. Take every single prospect you have, and client, and friend, relative. If you have a project 100, get that out. Get every business card you have saved. List names on 4X6 cards.
4. If you know dates of birth, wedding anniversary of the married folks, when the single folks are to be married, number of kids they have, kids' dates of birth, so on, write this on each 4X6 card.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
5. get partitions for the card box, either by quarter or all 12 months.
6. now that it happens to be January right now, go though each card, look for all the January events, birthdays, anniversaries, so on. any client or prospect which you have not seen nor called in 6 months, write that down as a January event, the agent follow up and review. Label each event like B=birthday, R= review. You can even color code them if you like.
7. write all this in for january, in your calendar. start calling for appointments. if you get an appointment, remove the card from the box and paper clip it to the calendar. send birthday cards and thank you notes for sales made. get referrals.
8. if you don't get the appontment, put the card back towards june or july in your box. 6 months from now. call them 6 months from now.
9. if you get sales, put that name back for 6 months- for a policy review and follow up. Send thank you note, get referrals.
10. when you get referalls, put those up close- like January or February, and start calling them. Move them around as needed, if you don't get the appointment.
11. start looking for February birthdays and start getting February set up. Write birthday cards and-or thank you notes for sales made, do this right away before you forget.

Use the box like a pipeline, keep things going into the box, back of box to front. Every month move the next batch of reviews, referalls, non-apointment leads, birtdays for that month, everything from 6 months ago, so on. Keep moving them from back to front, then back again if the appointment is not made. This is a pipeline. Again, you can play with it, go three months intead of 6, 4 months, whatever, it's your system.

This is basically how I remember the basic gist of it, don't know if I got it exactly right, but I'm close.

Last edited:
Let's find out. Frank, are there any CRM's that do this effectively?

Your Insurance Office - Company Profile

If you don't want to use YIO and want to do OCS buy this book and read it. It will tell you how it works. By the way it is worth reading in its own right.

Building a Financial Services Clientele by O. Alfred Granum, Delia Alberstein and Barry Alberstein (2001, Book, Illustrated): A Guide to the One Card System

However the advantage of YIO is Frank.

Last edited:
Back