Renters Insurance

cijo88

Expert
From the beginning: I noticed that since graduating college and still having access to my student e-mail account I can pull up all 20000 plus emails on my old schools email system. I have talked to one of my old professors about the ethics/ solicitation on or through the campus email system. I would like to get some input from you guys before I finally visit with the person in charge of what's acceptable and not in regards to soliciting students through email.
Are there any possible repercussions for doing this?
I get these solicitations for hack jobs and the weekly t-shirt to buy etc so while I may see it as something they need the school may not. I'd just like to hear what everyone else thinks... Feel free to ramble

Go ahead...the government is closed.

(The FTC is closed due to the government shutdown.)

Otherwise, be sure to read about the CAN SPAM ACT.

From the beginning: I noticed that since graduating college and still having access to my student e-mail account I can pull up all 20000 plus emails on my old schools email system. I have talked to one of my old professors about the ethics/ solicitation on or through the campus email system. I would like to get some input from you guys before I finally visit with the person in charge of what's acceptable and not in regards to soliciting students through email.
Are there any possible repercussions for doing this?
I get these solicitations for hack jobs and the weekly t-shirt to buy etc so while I may see it as something they need the school may not. I'd just like to hear what everyone else thinks... Feel free to ramble

If it's just a generic insurance email that is blasted out to students who haven't subscribed to you it could be marked as spam. I'd look up the consequences to sending out spam..crazy fines..

Damn. You're right about the fine. 11k for each person! I still want to do something to let students know about renters insurance but not even the guy at the college knew anything about it. I've been reduced to calling fraternity and sorority housemothers to speak to their group so maybe I'll have luck there.

Talking to the houses is probably the best bet. When the college has events, getting some sort of booth or whatever will give you exposure.

That said, there are no fines for sending can-spam compliant emails. Fines are for blatent violation of can-spam rules and to be honest, if you don't follow them, you are crazy. There is nothing hard about it. In general:
- Have a truthful subject line
- Provide a working, simple, unsubscribe mechanism (can't require a login)
- Provide your contact info, including a valid physical location address.
... along with a few others, but nothing here is overwhelming at all.

Now, trying to send 20,000 emails is a whole different story. Sounds simple, but, any account you have will not allow it and will lock you out before you get close to that number. By the time you find a way to send that many emails, you'll be in the spam folder, if you make it through at all.

So, you start researching and find out that hey, I can send 1000 emails a day, no problem. You send your first 100 and someone reads the email and presses the 'report spam' button. You are then shut down till you explain why you were sending out spam on your account.

Sounds simple. Much more difficult to send this number of emails. Should be even more difficult than it is. Of course, if you have opted in addresses (to you, not to some other website), you can easily send this volume.

Dan

Back