Threats from Agency About Debit Balances

One of the most prominent entities on our forum has recently taking to making threats to me about reporting to state insurance board, sending harassing and threatening letters to me residence with said threats being printed clearly on the outside of the envelope (sending armed sheriff's deputies, placing liens on assets, seizing real and personal properfty, claiming to garnish wages----my state is a non-garnish state----and threatening to go to my other appointed carriers and confiscating wages etc)----all over a debit balance on which arrangements have been made.

I spoke with one of the agency principals yesterday who brazenly told me "my attorney tells me I can do whatevef I want to do".

Understanding no reasonably competent attorney would ever tell a client what this principal was supposedly told, it does make me curious as to what redress I have----these letters I would think violate collection law against privacy and harrassment.

I'm similarly curious about Vectors and debit balances affecting renewal with the state dept of insurance, which is next year.

These folks made any number of threats to a licensee with information made available for the public to see, including accusing me of a felony.

I'm not at all that concerned, as written I have arrangements have been made, but I am curious about this and would like feedback from greybeards.

Thoughts?

What is to advise?

Keep the evidence he is sending you, document the calls you have received, even record them if legal in your state and speak with an attorney. You may have a case, you may not.

One of the most prominent entities on our forum has recently taking to making threats to me about reporting to state insurance board, sending harassing and threatening letters to me residence with said threats being printed clearly on the outside of the envelope (sending armed sheriff's deputies, placing liens on assets, seizing real and personal properfty, claiming to garnish wages----my state is a non-garnish state----and threatening to go to my other appointed carriers and confiscating wages etc)----all over a debit balance on which arrangements have been made.
Please reveal this "prominent entity". Not only will it burnish the veracity of your claims - it could help others.

Please reveal this "prominent entity". Not only will it burnish the veracity of your claims - it could help others.

In a misunderstanding about a debt that had already been taken care of I got some of those from Rosenthal.

That said, if you have agents that stick you with six figures worth of chargebacks, you start to rethink your approach on "being friendly". This is business. If you have a debt, you need to pay it. I'm not sure I agree with their methods, but it's an effective piece that helps keep the situation clear.

In a misunderstanding about a debt that had already been taken care of I got some of those from Rosenthal.

That said, if you have agents that stick you with six figures worth of chargebacks, you start to rethink your approach on "being friendly". This is business. If you have a debt, you need to pay it. I'm not sure I agree with their methods, but it's an effective piece that helps keep the situation clear.

So why not just hire Vinny to collect for you?

I'm not saying you should avoid your debts. But the OP claims he has made arrangements to pay. I'm not sure if it would apply as they are not a debt collection agency, but what has been described I believe would be illegal for a debt collection agency.

----------

It's not like the land is taken over for Chinese communist businesses...

You really believe that BS? The guy hasn't paid in 20 years. Japan was our mortal enemy back then.

So why not just hire Vinny to collect for you?

I'm not saying you should avoid your debts. But the OP claims he has made arrangements to pay. I'm not sure if it would apply as they are not a debt collection agency, but what has been described I believe would be illegal for a debt collection agency.

Best guess, it got stuck in with the list of other agents. This is hardly the only person getting this type of mail. It's entirely possible they made arrangements and never got back with the IMO. Hell, it's possible the IMO knows of the arrangements and just wants to be clear that the "check is in the mail" explanation isn't going to cut it.

This isn't in collections yet, that's a very different critter. I don't have a copy of what they sent me, but it was very abrasive.

Image an insurance company wanting to take $2,215 out of your paycheck because the agent you recruited won't respond to the companies SIX Demand Letters or the many friendly letters that we sent you after 5 months waiting for a response. After the Home Office sends SIX letters, we send two very polite FRIENDLY letters before any of the other letters are sent. It is sad that you think it is okay to stick us with a $2,215 debit after 6 months. I wish you had done the right thing in the beginning and made payment arrangements. I hope you do the right thing now and really send in payments or pay off your debit. If you like I can show copies of the many letters you were sent that were nice begging you to do something to take care of this. Image someone taking $2,215 out of your check because someone else would not do the right thing. You wrote 28 policies and only 9 of them are Active. The debt was created last November 2013 almost 6 months ago. Only after you got the mentioned postal mail did you make contact with the Home Office to make payments on the debt.

Back