What Do I Need to Know if I Leave My GA?

GATORFAN

I joined this forum today so I apologize if this question has been asked a bunch of times already. I have been a L/H agent for a year now, working for an Independent Agent. I am appointed by more carriers than I'd like to be, but thats the way it is.

My GA and I are the same age but thats where the similarities end. All the commissions on my individual health policies and my portion of some group accounts are assigned to my GA. If I leave, are the commissions still due to me? I have nothing in writing so whats the norm?

Also, if I do leave his employ, and wish to write for some of the carriers, due I need some sort of release granted by my GA.

Thanks

If you have nothing in writing saying that the deals are yours, you will lose them. If you leave, and don't owe any money on advanced commissions, I think you should have no problem, BUT I believe he can be an a-hole and stop you from contracting with those companies for 6 months if he chooses to do so.

If you have nothing in writing saying that the deals are yours, you will lose them. If you leave, and don't owe any money on advanced commissions, I think you should have no problem, BUT I believe he can be an a-hole and stop you from contracting with those companies for 6 months if he chooses to do so.

My contract reads two years:bump:

I am appointed by more carriers than I'd like to be, but thats the way it is.

You have your own License ... ?

You have your own appointments with these carriers? If not get the primary carriers you'd like under contract before making any move.

If you have no contract with the agency - then in my opinion - have actually done this and worked with other guys who've done it - not just talked about it ... you are better off.

The only thing you cannot do is leave with "proprietary information of the company"

1. client lists
2. carrier statements belonging to the agency
3. Client files

If you have your monthly commission statements, I believe you are entitled to those.

I would endeavor to build strong relationships with your clients before you go - and get them into the mode of relying on you - not your staff or the agencies staff - until you are able to make them your client again.

Take steps to obtain email addresses and make sure they all have your cell phone number.

I joined this forum today so I apologize if this question has been asked a bunch of times already. I have been a L/H agent for a year now, working for an Independent Agent. I am appointed by more carriers than I'd like to be, but thats the way it is.

My GA and I are the same age but thats where the similarities end. All the commissions on my individual health policies and my portion of some group accounts are assigned to my GA. If I leave, are the commissions still due to me? I have nothing in writing so whats the norm?

Also, if I do leave his employ, and wish to write for some of the carriers, due I need some sort of release granted by my GA.

Thanks

You should have a compensation agreement. The agent should outline all comp and exit terms. If you do not have an agreement, I would secure one immediately.

Back