What is wrong with business owners?

Labman

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I've called on four businesses who don't have Section 125 plans. Only one bit and is allowing me to come in to discuss implementation. In this horrid economy how in the hell can a business turn down such an opportunity to save money at virtually no cost?? I bet the employees would be unhappy as hell to find out how much they can save if their employers weren't so damn dumb!

Sorry for the vent, but I just had to!!:no:

Re: What the hell is wrong with business owners?

As a small business owner, I get calls all day on how I can save money. 99% of them are someone trying to take my money.

You're approach has to change. First, if you are getting 1 out of 4, you are doing EXTREMELY well. Second, realize that the employees won't realize that they'll save money either (and even if they do, they'll procrastinate anyway).

You're job as a sales person is to get past all of this. Motivate the employer and the employees.

You'll have to find a new approach, the current one isn't compelling.

Dan

I agree with DJS.

Perhaps you could put together some type of seminar, and distribute flyers in the neighborhood, or via e-mail.

Let them come to you. The ones that do are interested. Those are the ones you can call on.

Or, do a webinar with Webex, Yugma, etc.

Let them come to you.

I prefer to work with those that have an interest in what I offer, and who would listen to my valued proposition.

Not too bad and you will get better as you go. Keep on chipping away at those business. Drip mail them, etc. It is up to you to find the right prospects and to find the pain. If you don't find the pain you can't close the deal. Ben Feldman with NYL was the greatest life insurance salesman of all time but it was not until his fourth (4th) year that he qualified for the MDRT. I think it took John Savage about 9 years to really become successful. Do you have a mentor? Have you ever made joint calls with anyone experienced in the market you are working? My point is don't blame the prospects or whine. Learn your trade and persevere.

It's because you are calling them on the phone. It's tougher to tell you negative things in person.

I don't mean to come across as whining, I knew the game going in. My spill goes like this:

Hello I specialize in working with small business owners to control their major medical cost and improve on employee benefits.

If they say they are happy with their current health care situation then I move into the benefits of a Section 125 plan. I know my presentation could use some fine tuning, but I've actually had owners they looked at cafeteria plans before and could not afford them??? I explain Section 125 plans are cheap and the benefit buy still no bites. Where is my approach going wrong?

I have a mentor but he is so busy he can rarely go out, maybe I need to find another. But most of my calls have been via phone. My success is a little bit better when I go in person.

If they are happy, leave them alone, and move on to the next call, where you might find someone who is not happy, and willing to speak with you.

If you want some help in developing a script, let me know, and I'll assist.

Perhaps you could put together some type of seminar, and distribute flyers in the neighborhood, or via e-mail.

Let them come to you. The ones that do are interested. Those are the ones you can call on.

Or, do a webinar with Webex, Yugma, etc.

Let them come to you.

I prefer to work with those that have an interest in what I offer, and who would listen to my valued proposition.

Excellent, outstanding, superb!

Instead of wasting time cold calling everyone on the planet, do some marketing, and deal with people that want what you have.

Hello I specialize in working with small business owners to control their major medical cost and improve on employee benefits.

Where is my approach going wrong?

Don't take this personally, but in addition to the guy probably getting 45 calls a day like this, it's not compelling or different, and is a good cure for insomnia...

Here's something right off the top of my head...

Mr. Blowhard, this is Joe Agent. I've got a no-risk offer for you. If I can't lower your major medical cost by seventeen percent, and still provide you with good, safe coverage, I'll give you five hundred bucks cash.

That will get some attention.

Business people still do not understand section 125, even though aflac has basically blanketed the earth with them. Are you with aflac or colonial? it really does not matter who you are with, there are a lot of people trying to "jump" into section 125 lately, because it's a great way to write like 15 apps in one place. So, there are tons of agents writing it, the average business gets tons of calls about it, they don't understand it, I don't blame them. It's a section in the IRS code. It's section 125 of the IRS code, for goodness sakes. I don't think I want somebody calling me about IRS codes.

Now, if you start calling people about their supplemental benefits, or voluntary benefits, this sounds better.

As a small business owner, I get calls all day on how I can save money. 99% of them are someone trying to take my money.

You're approach has to change. First, if you are getting 1 out of 4, you are doing EXTREMELY well. Second, realize that the employees won't realize that they'll save money either (and even if they do, they'll procrastinate anyway).

You're job as a sales person is to get past all of this. Motivate the employer and the employees.

You'll have to find a new approach, the current one isn't compelling.
Dan

I find your post contradictary. First you say he is doing well and then you tell him he has to change. You are also misusing the contraction 'you're'. In this case, it should be 'your'. Just trying to help.

Back