Advice on Selling Medicare Supplements

To anyone,

I enjoy selling Med Supps and I currently only cold call to get appointments. I was wondering if there were other techniques or advertising that works well to get the attention of Seniors. I know some people use dinner seminars but I just dont have the money to try that as of yet. It would be nice to not cold call all of the time. Calling 150-200 per day to set 6-10 appointments is grueling. Getting some warmer leads would be a nice change of pace! LOL! :) It gets quite boring being attached to the phone for 8-10 hours! I like to sell the Med Supps because it seems to be my key in the door to cross sell them other products. So anyone that specializes in Med Supps I would like to get your opinions. Oh a little background info about me is I have been in the business for about 3 months and I am a captive agent. The lines I sell are LTC, Life, Med Supps and Annuities. Lets get a good Med Supp thread going. ;)

In my opinion, don't buy leads. look up frank stastny on the forum, he will point you in the right direction. tell him i sent you.

thanks

I sell med-supps. I have tryed Internet leads, Direct Mailer, Seminars, Telemarketers. And I always go back to the way Frank told me. Cold Calling. Leads are not worth what you pay for medicare sales. The phone is the only way to go. I call 150-200 per day. From 4pm to 7:30. and set my appt for the next day. It works for me.

And Watch out for people just trying to recruit you on the forum 1 post nothing added and trying to recruit an agent. Just my opinion. (yes Nicole im talking about you!)

I sell med-supps. I have tryed Internet leads, Direct Mailer, Seminars, Telemarketers. And I always go back to the way Frank told me. Cold Calling. Leads are not worth what you pay for medicare sales. The phone is the only way to go. I call 150-200 per day. From 4pm to 7:30. and set my appt for the next day. It works for me.

And Watch out for people just trying to recruit you on the forum 1 post nothing added and trying to recruit an agent. Just my opinion. (yes Nicole im talking about you!)

Yep, Frank has it figured out - hands down.

To anyone,

I enjoy selling Med Supps and I currently only cold call to get appointments. I was wondering if there were other techniques or advertising that works well to get the attention of Seniors. I know some people use dinner seminars but I just dont have the money to try that as of yet. It would be nice to not cold call all of the time. Calling 150-200 per day to set 6-10 appointments is grueling. Getting some warmer leads would be a nice change of pace! LOL! :) It gets quite boring being attached to the phone for 8-10 hours! I like to sell the Med Supps because it seems to be my key in the door to cross sell them other products. So anyone that specializes in Med Supps I would like to get your opinions. Oh a little background info about me is I have been in the business for about 3 months and I am a captive agent. The lines I sell are LTC, Life, Med Supps and Annuities. Lets get a good Med Supp thread going. ;)

Thanks guys for the kind words.

I have been selling Med Supps since July 5, 1993. The market has been extremely good to me to say the least.

Dinner seminars would be a total waste of both time and money. All it will accomplish is to make seniors fatter while your wallet gets skinnier and skinnier. Not a good thing.

I have a very sweet and smooth system I use. I could type all day or you could give me a call and we can talk about it. For me, calling is better.

I am just getting started and need some help
Where do you get enough leads to call 150-200 propects per day that are not on the Do Not Call Registry? Are there enough people not registered that you can call about health insurance ?

^you can get those numbers anywhere. If you work for a company just ask them for numbers, Im sure they have tons to give you.

I don't know if I believe the whole idea of just dialing for dollars all day every day. You will get burned out after 6 months. I think you need a few things working for you at the same time.

Doing your own mailer (pretty inexpensive)
Internet Leads
BNI or Chamber (or anyone other referral network)
And of course Calls (free)

I am interested in Franks Mojo dailer though, Im going to have to contact him soon to hear the whole marketing idea.

I don't know if I believe the whole idea of just dialing for dollars all day every day. You will get burned out after 6 months. I think you need a few things working for you at the same time.

Although you may be right, I still haven't gotten "burned out". One only gets "burned out" if one is not making money. What burns an agent out is trying time and time again, not doing it properly and then trying something else that only produces mediocre results.

I don't know anyone who has gotten "burned out" when they are being successful and making money.

Using the phone is an art, a well practiced and learned art. There is so much more to it than simply having a "script". It takes time to develop a smooth, conversational, non-sales approach, in other words a telephone presentation.

From my experience the things that you mention are not things the agent can work, they are things that work the agent. In sixteen years I have "tried it all", usually more than once. Everything you mentioned and a lot more. Some were moderately successful, others were a total flop but none of them have produced the kind of results as what I do now.

Agents have two choices, they can follow the path all those before them have taken and wander aimlessly around with everyone else or they can leave the path and make their own trail.

I have been successful selling insurance by blazing my own trail.

Like I said before, I am starting a brokerage and need some help. I have to buy/find leads myself.
I need to call the senior market. Can I get enough leads to call 150-200 propects per day that are not on the Do Not Call Registry? Are there enough people not registered that you can call about health insurance ? For anyone doing this where do you get your lists of seniors you can really call? How many dials does it take to talk to a person? Is there a good time of day to call?
Thanks
Dave

Well Said Frank!
Insurance sales is not for a faint hearted person. Its hard work and there are no short cuts. I have been in since 2005 and have "Had Enough" several times after a bad week. On Monday I always go back to work and try again. I cant call for 6-8 hours a day that kills me, But I can call 3 hours a day and run 3 appt. a day 6 days a week and make money. When I start to get renewals on 500 med-supps it will all pay off. everything between now and then is nothing more than the price you pay to be good at your craft!

Back