Becoming a State Farm Agent

That doesn't sound too promising. Sort of cheapens the agency opportunity. But hopefully some of the nearby agents get "the drippings" so to speak. (The clients who are on their second flavor of the month noob and want a agent nearby who has already made it.)

In my area, any ESP office gets parked in an agent's office while a noob gets ramped up. The babysitter gets some extra dough for the staffing needs, and then he proceeds to rape and pilage that book of business of all it's good households, life insurance opportunities, and multi-line opportunities. By the time the poor noob is ready to take it over, it is pretty bruised.

My area is not a "growth" area though, so we don't have scratch noobs, and the noobs that roll out tend to make it despite their gullibility and relative stupidity. Sorry to the noobs out there, but you are sort of silly until you get your street smarts.

I'm sure I would have been, had I not had this thread to refer to. This thread has easily become the "holy grail" for anything pertaining to becoming a state farm agent.

Last edited:
Whats going on guys? It looks like this thread has lost a little steam, but thank you for going hard when you did, because it has definitely opened my eyes (after reading 20 pages of posts).

I'm building my BP (Business Plan) now and still want this, but know I am not starting scratch. I'm looking to shorten my learning curve as much as possible by doing as much research as I can.

I have a couple questions today, and probably many more in the future, thanks in advance for being receptive to them. Here we go:

1. How much can an "average agent" expect to make in years: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5? (I can't find any "average" numbers available to me)

2. Is anyone here from Texas that can give me Texas tips?

Thank you VERY much for your time

- Kid

Legion - I'm not a State Farm guy, but there is a lot of wisdom in what you just said. I guess it's universally true. You have to focus on your business, not the 'promotion' of the day.

You're income numbers are in line with what I tell people who ask me about first five year incomes, though I'm a little higher, we are playing in the same field. An agent can do MUCH better, but if he is investing in his business (something many new agents don't get), you will have a somewhat limited income initially.

Protecting the renewals is protecting your livelihood. Don't let any account slip out the door without a full court press to keep it.

Dan

Thanks so much for getting back to me on that. That sounds like some quality advice to shorten my learning curve.

So in summation, in my business plan, do you think i should:

1. Shoot for unrealistic numbers
2. Go for fat-cat approaches in financial services
3. Preach the scorecard is my money maker

BUT, if I do get on, do you think i should:

1. Try to work these things as best I can until I can get my ICA contract
2. THEN...cut this crap out and focus on the real P & C money makers until I have enough money to go after the scorecard after year 5

Is there any other suggestions that yall (what we say in Texas) can give on my business plan or any possible questions in the interview going on that day. Thanks so much for your help. We should get this thread steaming again, it was pretty interesting to me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BTW...State Farm is writing home in Texas again

Last edited:
I cannot imagine a better resource for a prospective SF agent than this thread. There may be a lot of B.S. but there has been a lot of good information as well. It is certainly a look beyond the company B.S.

Legion hit it right on the head.

Also be careful what you put on paper what your goals are. They will hold it against you if you do not succeed.

Not just, "lets try better to make your goals" More like "We have an ethical issue here. You said you were going to travel, how do we know you are not lying in other areas?"

Not kidding.

Infoe: Houston, Texas

Sailor: What you said is what I am fearful of and it sounds like what any company would do/say. I guess that brings me to my next question then:

1. How do I give numbers that they want to see in the Business Plan presentation to get passed on to "approved candidate" and at the same time be able to hit those numbers.

Thanks again, and one last thing, does anyone have a successful Business Plan they would be willing to let me get ideas off of? If not its cool. If yes, it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks VERY much everyone

Legion: Thank you VERY much for all of your help.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Huckleberry: Doc made Tombstone the bad-ace movie it was. He was by far the best character in that movie and one of my all time favorite movie characters. Nice avatar.

Last edited:
Huckleberry, sounds to me like you have a plan. I am not an SF agent but it makes sense to me. My gut says go for it and by the way welcome on board the forum. I like your writing style.

Last edited:
Back