The Closing Game Idea, Play It!

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
I want to share with you something that I feel with help you with your closing techniques.

I want you to play a game that I call "the closing game".

Come up with every reason why a client should not buy what you are selling. Life, Health, or whatever and write them down. I want you to really think hard.

Examples:

I can’t afford this.
She can’t manage the checkbook, how will she handle the lump sum when I die.
My job already offers me insurance.
Why should I buy from you?

You never want a client to ask you a question that you have not already thought about and have an answer for.

Next, I want you to over come each one of these objectives. Write them down and learn them, until you can answer them within seconds.

Example:

You may be right. How about we make it where she can’t blow the money. How about we give her a lump sum when you die of blank, and give her so much a month and then after so many years give her another lump sum. That way she can’t blow the money. You decide how much and how often the company will send her money. How about we give her $100,000 down to pay for the funeral and some bills and $1,000 a month for 20 years until the kids are gone and the house is paid offer and then another $100,000 in 20 years.

You can play with the numbers. I’m just showing you the point.

If you go ahead and think of every objective that they can come up with and have the answer ready, it will help you.

Sit down and play the “closing game”.

I can't afford this!

Well, the question that you really need to ask yourself is when you die will your wife be able to afford to be without it? As your life insurance agent I make it a priority to help you in your life. That doesn't mean that I want to tell you what to do with your money, but I will be more than happy to discuss ways that my clients have restructured their budgets in order to get the benefit that this type of protection has to offer.

At this point you ask them to write out an honest monthly budget. If it helps them feel more comfortable you can write out your monthly budget for them first. This will help them understand where they are spending their money and what they need to do to use their money more wisely.

Some people legitimately can't afford life insurance and for them I feel bad. If you have a client like that you can try to get them into an inexpensive policy, but sometimes it might not work. It is always worth sending these people cards or letters a few times a year though because you never know when their finances may improve.

Mark - Great exercise to practice; thanks for the idea.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, I'd like to see a good response to, "My job already gives me life insurance".

Most agents use the rebuttle: "But what if you leave your job, or are fired". But I've never had the best experience with that response (maybe I'm just not wording it correctly). Any advice is appreciated....

Last edited:
Also, I'd like to see a good response to, "My job already gives me life insurance".

Most agents use the rebuttle: "But what if you leave your job, or are fired". But I've never had the best experience with that response (maybe I'm just not wording it correctly). Any advice is appreciated....

"My job already gives me life insurance."

"How much?" Workplace life insurance is almost never sufficient to cover what someone truly needs. Life insurance doesn't just cover the cost of a burial -- it gives the spouse time to grieve in dignity without freaking out about taking a week or two off of work, and it replaces the income of the deceased.

"What if something were to happen while you're working at that job, a heart attack or stroke or something, and you find yourself in early retirement? You'd lose your job -- and your life insurance -- and still be alive, but you'd find it much more difficult to get good, affordable coverage with that pre-existing condition. If we get you set up with a small, private life insurance policy now, we can make sure you're covered for the rest of your life -- no matter what your employment situation looks like."

Once you've established that the group life is financially insufficient and that adding a small private policy is the way to go:

"You're probably paying a little out of your paycheck each month for that life insurance at work. Well, the only way your insurance company is going to give YOU any money is if you pass away. What if we looked at a plan where you pay your premiums for a set period of time, and at the end of that period if you're still alive and kicking, you'll get all of that money back?" Then show them a ROP plan.

I've never actually tried any of this, but it seems like a good starting point. I mostly do health, too, so there are likely holes to this pitch that I'm just not seeing.

I am a newbie insurance agent . Just passed my Life, Health, and Annuity exam on Wednesday but I have been in sales for over 20 years and the best close I have ever used is the FEEL,FELT,FOUND close. It lets the customer know that you have been in their shoes at some point, and it goes something like this.

Customer: I really can't afford this right now.

You: I understand and I know how you FEEL, as a matter of fact I FELT the exact same way you do until I FOUND out that I couldn't afford to be without insurance.(Tell a story) THEN CLOSE!!!!

Customer: It's a bad time for me

YOU: I understand how you FEEL, as a matter of fact I FELT the same way you do until I FOUND out that there is no better time than when you are healthy and able to work for your income(tell personal story). It would be a REALLY bad time if you were to become disabled and unable to work tomorrow, wouldn't it?

MAKE UP YOUR OWN , BUT PRACTICE ON YOU, NOT YOUR CUSTOMERS. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT THERE AND TELL MY STORY..

Last edited:
Life insurance through work is usually a sucker bet and you can proof it. Never lost a sale due to this, very easy to overcome.

I know Mark already covered this question fantastically, however I'd like to share what I was thinking.

Here are some questions you could use...

"Oh really, great! Do you get to keep your Life Insurance if you move on to a better opportunity elsewhere?

If they answer No...then proceed with...

"Is it important to you, to have a policy that with cover you regardless of where you work?"

Then of course move forward with your presentation

I can’t afford this.
My job already offers me insurance.
Why should I buy from you?

Hey Mark

Repeat Objection - So Mark, other than

(not being able to afford it)
(worrying about how she'll handle the settlement)
(your job already offering you insurance)
(wondering why you should buy from me)

Isolate - is there anything else holding you back from moving ahead with this today?

Yes - Redirection - And what is that Mark?

Answer - Repeat objection & Isolate

No

Pre-Commitment - So if we could find a way, and I'm not saying we can at this point, but if we could find some way to make it affordable for you Mark, would you be willing to take a closer look at it?

No - Why Not?

Answer - Repeat Objection & Isolate

Yes

Alright, tell me Mark, how much can you afford?

Answer - $50 a month.

Commitment - So if we could get you part if not most of what you need for $50/month Mark would that work for you?

No - Why not Mark?

Answer -Repeat Objection & Isolate

Yes - O.K. Mark I need to look but, I believe we can see if you qualify for a (Feature - $100,000 Level Term amount ). Now if you can are you willing to see if you qualify for it?

No - Why not?

Answer - Repeat Objection & Isolate.

Yes - Fine I just need to see your drivers license and while your up if you'll get your checkbook.

Hey Mark

Repeat Objection - So Mark, other than

(not being able to afford it)
(worrying about how she'll handle the settlement)
(your job already offering you insurance)
(wondering why you should buy from me)

Isolate - is there anything else holding you back from moving ahead with this today?

Yes - Redirection - And what is that Mark?

Answer - Repeat objection & Isolate

No

Pre-Commitment - So if we could find a way, and I'm not saying we can at this point, but if we could find some way to make it affordable for you Mark, would you be willing to take a closer look at it?

No - Why Not?

Answer - Repeat Objection & Isolate

Yes

Alright, tell me Mark, how much can you afford?

Answer - $50 a month.

Commitment - So if we could get you part if not most of what you need for $50/month Mark would that work for you?

No - Why not Mark?

Answer -Repeat Objection & Isolate

Yes - O.K. Mark I need to look but, I believe we can see if you qualify for a (Feature - $100,000 Level Term amount ). Now if you can are you willing to see if you qualify for it?

No - Why not?

Answer - Repeat Objection & Isolate.

Yes - Fine I just need to see your drivers license and while your up if you'll get your checkbook.

Snowmans right, its gold to do it this way. And yes, I forget to do it this way....
Greenhorn:swoon:
"I wanna think it over...."

That great Miss Jones, Forethought has 2 million policy holders, and lots of them, probably wanted to think it over. Wouldn't you agree??

In fact, would it be alright if we protected you while you think this over??

"What do you mean?"

Right now we can lock in your health and age, protecting the very things you need... to get good coverage like this. In fact if you do find something better, would you let me know, because I've not found it. Not for your unique situation...and the grand kids.

Once you get your policy, take it to your P&C agent, your brother-in-law etc. etc.

Ask them questions, while your protected. Do I have your birthday correct??

Greenhorn:cool:

Last edited:
Back