Diving in Head First...

Let's start off by saying this... I may be dumb for the plan I'm looking to pursue, but I am not naive. I know there will be a huge learning curve, plenty of aches and pains but I will preserve.

Here is the deal: I am new to insurance. Passed my Life Accident and Health exam in the state of Missouri. Working on P&C... and will eventually go after other licensing and certifications as well as relevant training and mentoring.

By reading many MANY posts, I need to 1. Work for someone else to learn the ropes 2. Go indy as soon as possible after that 3. Concentrate on one area then branch into other areas as I feel comfortable (or at all).

My plan, open a Tax practice as my primary business/source of income. I will work with my tax clients to branch into the various threads of the insurance business (Life, Health, P&C, Annuities, LTC...). All areas of my business will focus on individuals, not businesses. This may change but for right now, this is where I am focusing. As I learn the business, I assume that insurance will take over as the primary source of income. I will work tax season from January to April with a trickle of late filers through October. Then work my current clients and various marketing activities from May to October pushing life insurance in year 1, then adding some P&C products in year 2 or 3. In October to December, working with clients to register them for ACA health insurance. All of these will overlap, but just showing where my attention will be mainly focused throughout the year. Will I sell P&C or Life ins in the middle of tax season, of course!

A little about me: B.S. in Accounting and Management Worked as an auditor for 15+ years, working with the financials, controls, IT related stuff and even audited insurance/financial services companies. I have zero sales experience.

So here is what I wanna know: Everything! But please elaborate on some of these statements for me (knowing I am opening myself up for some hazing, but I'd rather hear it now rather than learn by fire).

1. I want to skip the "working for someone" part. I've read the comments on here and quite frankly would rather learn by doing and with the help of supporters than cut teeth on a job (as much as they promote it, none of them are offering a true "business opportunity"). I have a strong work ethic and eye for detail and know I'll make mistakes.

2. Going Indy from scratch, I assume I'll have to sign up with some type of alliance to start. Where can I go to research the good from the bad? Are there any companies that would allow me to enter direct, based on no experience?

3. Knowing that I will be sticking my feet into various areas and can go as slow or as fast as I like, where can I go to try to make up for the training that I'll be missing as a captive? Any good sales training to speak of? Any certification that will propel me further faster?

Positive and negative comments are all welcome. I know I'll get a mix of both anyway!

Thanks in advance!

Check here and select your state:

agency equity (DOT) com/listings/insurance-agency-clusters-a-alliances

This will give you plenty of places to check into. I am in the middle of doing my research for here in Colorado.

Good luck

Here is the deal: I am new to insurance. Passed my Life Accident and Health exam in the state of Missouri. Working on P&C... and will eventually go after other licensing and certifications as well as relevant training and mentoring.

By reading many MANY posts, I need to 1. Work for someone else to learn the ropes 2. Go indy as soon as possible after that 3. Concentrate on one area then branch into other areas as I feel comfortable (or at all).

On one hand you say your priority is to concentrate on one specific area until you feel comfortable to branch out.
I wholly recommend this approach.
But you started off saying you got licensed in L&H, but now going after P&C. This contradicts your approach of mastering an area before moving on. 'Jack of all trades, but master of none...' comes to mind.

This is my humble opinion- you are well aware that you don't know what you don't know. It is smart to start off with someone that can help you achieve success in an area before opening up the possibility of changing course.
Don't bite off more that you can chew. Sit down. Think about an area you will feel the most comfortable...the clientele that you feel you will be able to best approach and work with. Go that direction. Do not let yourself be distracted by being an everything to everybody. Be to go-to guy in one area. Refer our the others.

Last edited:
Agree with you...I am working on the licensing before I commit to an area of specialty. I have not attempted to sell anything yet and haven't even applied for the license yet, just testing.

At some point in the not so near future, I do plan on being everything for the few selected categories in my area. That's long range, and with the help of a network of others. I am quickly realizing I can't do it all on my own and not going to try that. Maybe have a person focus on this area and another focus on that area under my umbrella.

----------

Check here and select your state:

agency equity (DOT) com/listings/insurance-agency-clusters-a-alliances

This will give you plenty of places to check into. I am in the middle of doing my research for here in Colorado.

Good luck

Thanks, I'll check this out...

Back