• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Interested in Making Insurance a Career

lenoirinsurance

Hello everybody,

My name is H.D. and I am a junior in college. I've been tossing around quite a few different ideas about what I want to do with my life, but more and more I've kept coming back to insurance. My dad was an agent before he died, and its something that I've always had an interest in. I would really like to get started before I finish college because currently I'm stuck in a dead end job which I dread going to, but have to in order to pay my bills. I'm just not sure how to proceed in order to get started. I know that in my state (North Carolina) you have to obtain a license from the DOI for each line you wish to offer, and you have to be appointed by a carrier, but I'm more interested in finding out what it takes to get hired by a good agency. I want to be able to offer Life & Health as well as Property & Casualty coverage.

Thanks for all of your help,

H.D.

I began my career in insurance while a student at UCLA. I was looking for a part-time job and because I could both type and use proper English, I was hired by a small (very small) P&C agency. Two years after graduating, I was running the agency.

You might want to look for something similar. You'll both earn a few bucks and maybe get a head start.

By the way, I meant I could type. We had those very heavy things called typewriters. Google it. You'll find it interesting.

Rick

Thanks guys for the responses.

While I agree that waiting until after I complete my education would probably be a wise choice, I would really rather go ahead and find a way to get started. How would y'all advise finding an agency looking someone part-time?

Thanks, H.D.

Thanks guys for the responses.

While I agree that waiting until after I complete my education would probably be a wise choice, I would really rather go ahead and find a way to get started. How would y'all advise finding an agency looking someone part-time?

Thanks, H.D.

Just go knock on their doors and talk to them.

I would start by getting licensed. Then go to a few offices and let them know that you have your license and you are looking for something part time. Good luck.

I am in college as well. I run 10-15 appointments a week. I set them around my schedule. Not getting rich, $1000-$1500 a week-ish. Better than a retail gig...... Found 5 carriers that would sign me at 80% or 90% and ran with it. When im done with school, ill go full time.

I am in college as well. I run 10-15 appointments a week. I set them around my schedule. Not getting rich, $1000-$1500 a week-ish. Better than a retail gig...... Found 5 carriers that would sign me at 80% or 90% and ran with it. When im done with school, ill go full time.

What line(s) are you selling? Where are you located? Do you schedule your own appointments or have an appt. setter? Thanks

Going off of what pncisforme said, I'd love to have some more information if you don't mind about how you came across these carriers & what you're offering, because if I could come anywhere close to the numbers you're talking about it'd change my life hahaha.

Thanks, H.D.

Back