Market Research to Determine License Type (Med Supp or FE)

I think that seems to be the key to my misunderstanding. I'm working on sorting the marketing from the truth. So far the board has kept me from making many poor choices and narrowing things down. Now it's down to making the final decisions.

I'm planning on starting part time and going full time after a year. It sounds like starting with FE would be the easiest choice to get started. Would it be unreasonable to expect to just break even the first 3 months that way or would that be too optimistic?

I figure that the first 6 months is just basic training with any job and that it truly takes a year before you know enough and have experienced enough to really get going.

Thanks so far for the answers!

You should do far better than breaking even in the first 3 months. FE is one of those things that you can either do or you can't. And it's evident very early which it is.

Not saying you won't get better because you will. But if you can sell FE you will hit the ground running. That's pretty much with any IMO. Naturally a good FE IMO will shorten the learning curve.

I think that seems to be the key to my misunderstanding. I'm working on sorting the marketing from the truth. So far the board has kept me from making many poor choices and narrowing things down. Now it's down to making the final decisions.

I'm planning on starting part time and going full time after a year. It sounds like starting with FE would be the easiest choice to get started. Would it be unreasonable to expect to just break even the first 3 months that way or would that be too optimistic?

I figure that the first 6 months is just basic training with any job and that it truly takes a year before you know enough and have experienced enough to really get going.

Thanks so far for the answers!

If you read back far enough you will see a lot of people say that you can not do FE successfully part time, then you will read about guys doing FE successfully part time. Those would be the guys I would ask. Reardan is one I think JG was one as well.

You should do far better than breaking even in the first 3 months. FE is one of those things that you can either do or you can't. And it's evident very early which it is.

Not saying you won't get better because you will. But if you can sell FE you will hit the ground running. That's pretty much with any IMO. Naturally a good FE IMO will shorten the learning curve.

I was figuring that based on licensing, initial leads, and miscellaneous expenses. I also wanted to account for initial policies that will get charged back later and just accept that as the cost of an education.

If you read back far enough you will see a lot of people say that you can not do FE successfully part time, then you will read about guys doing FE successfully part time. Those would be the guys I would ask. Reardan is one I think JG was one as well.

I've read plenty with people arguing both ways. I've seen everything from "It's impossible" to "You can make $100K in the first year easy". I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle like anything else.

I was figuring that based on licensing, initial leads, and miscellaneous expenses. I also wanted to account for initial policies that will get charged back later and just accept that as the cost of an education.

I've read plenty with people arguing both ways. I've seen everything from "It's impossible" to "You can make $100K in the first year easy". I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle like anything else.

I would like to know where you saw the "impossible" posts. I know wino posts stuff like that all the time but that just to make noise.

My advice would be to ignore the puffers and listen only to the agents that are doing what you want to do. If you chose to go med sups then talk to med sup agents that are actually writing med sups. If you chose to go FE then talk to agents that are actually out there everyday doing that.

Don't listen to the posers and fakers. Sometimes that hard to sort out but just hang around a little while and it becomes very clear.

And yes, you will hear from the FOS marketers telling you how easy it is to make $100K in your first year.

Is it possible to make over $100K in your first year selling FE? Yes, look no further than the poster wholelife here. He's a first year FE agent and has made over $100K, well safe assumption, I don't know his contract levels, his lead costs, his setter costs or his placement and chargeback ratios, but I do know he's written over $200K in his first year. I'm sure he won't tell you it's been easy.

Last edited:

Thanks Lee.

Dweezil - I did a video discussing whether or not an agent can sell final expense part-time.

Basically, you have to give your part-time commitment a FULL-TIME effort.

That means buying leads, and working nights and weekends, are all required to have success if selling on a part-time basis.

I did it personally for a period of time, as well as several of my current agents.

I did it part time for over a year, things got easier once i went full time and worked more leads.

I would like to know where you saw the "impossible" posts. I know wino posts stuff like that all the time but that just to make noise.

My advice would be to ignore the puffers and listen only to the agents that are doing what you want to do. If you chose to go med sups then talk to med sup agents that are actually writing med sups. If you chose to go FE then talk to agents that are actually out there everyday doing that.

Don't listen to the posers and fakers. Sometimes that hard to sort out but just hang around a little while and it becomes very clear.

And yes, you will hear from the FOS marketers telling you how easy it is to make $100K in your first year.

Is it possible to make over $100K in your first year selling FE? Yes, look no further than the poster wholelife here. He's a first year FE agent and has made over $100K, well safe assumption, I don't know his contract levels, his lead costs, his setter costs or his placement and chargeback ratios, but I do know he's written over $200K in his first year. I'm sure he won't tell you it's been easy.

I agree listen to people that have done it. Not to people that tell you it can not be done successfully or it would be an aberration. Some of the top producers seem to be the young guns that are more open to try new ideas. Many ways to do what we do.

Also some people's opinions change. Change is good.

I agree listen to people that have done it. Not to people that tell you it can not be done successfully or it would be an aberration. Some of the top producers seem to be the young guns that are more open to try new ideas. Many ways to do what we do.

Also some people's opinions change. Change is good.

You seem to be the only one saying things are impossible. So I agree, don't listen to you.

As for the aberration, I don't think anyone has ever told anyone to not be an aberration. I've seen people accurately described as an aberration. And I would certainly tell anyone to not set out to be an aberration. They should follow the tried and true. If they happen to become an aberration then that's good.

Since this is the getting started forum I would think a new agent should follow a proven path? Not start out with new ideas.

Back