Never Assign Commissions To Agency

Re: Never Assign Commissions

When you say "assign" - does it include when commission is coming through the brokers like EFinancial etc. Carriers dont give appointments to the new agents, so we have to go through the Brokers. How can we have insurance company pay directly to us, without going it through the broker?

Carriers do pay direct to new agents or old agents. If they are telling you differently, they are not telling you the truth.

Like I said, I paid dearly for that lesson. I will never do it again. Last year I went to a meeting in Evansville, In. for a local MA HMO plan. It was the only one in the area and had decent benefits. Even though I had stopped doing MA plans by that time, I had almost 600 Wellcare and Coventry clients that were going to be losing their plans at the end of '09. I thought that plan might be a good place for some of them to land.

There about 15 other agents at this training. The trainers really didn't understand the MA program at all, so, I basically ended up teaching the rules for them. At the end of the day they starting the contracting process for all the agents. We did the little tests and then they presented the contracts, $400 for 1st time enrollees and $200 for people not new to MA. There was one little sentence in there about the commissions coming from the FMO. I asked the guy if we had to assign commissions, he feigned ignorance at first, then asked me, "do you want to be paid straight from the company?'. Of course I said that I did. He said they didn't do it that way. I refused to sign the contract and therefore I did not work for that plan and did not enroll anyone for them.

I was the only agent in the room that refused to sign. A few months later I found out that they were only paying the agents $100 for any enrollment, new or former, and were not paying at all on some.

The provider and that FMO had a separation over it and they are not doing business with that FMO anymore. Those agents, besides being screwed out of what they were promised for enrollments, will never see any renewals on that business now. Unless they sue, of course, but good luck with that!

One agent that sat next to me at the training is always crying the blues about what they did to him. I keep telling him that he should have known something was up when I wouldn't sign. That same guy was screwed by P and A just as I was. He has two expensive lessons now. I hope he has finally learned.

Carriers do pay direct to new agents or old agents. If they are telling you differently, they are not telling you the truth.

Every company I have ever represented will advance an agent 12 months of commission. The brand new agents to the insurance business who I offer contracts to can elect to take a twelve month commission advance.

You are 100% correct, those people are not telling the truth. There are a lot of bottom feeders in this business who will out right lie to new agents just to get their name on the dotted line.

There are a lot of bottom feeders in this business who will out right lie to new agents just to get their name on the dotted line.

+100

Seen it many many times..My first insurance job was Liberty National- some probably know this company.. very conservative and pricey. I saw agents come and go every 3 months.

And they force new agents to write their friends and relatives.. ppbbsst..

Liberty National didnt care how many agents came and went- they got the business and if their families lapsed.. no biggie for them.. thanks for those 6 months of premiums we dont have to pay back and its one less claim we have to be liable for. "Get the secretary on the line.. time to put out another ad on craigslist for some more suckers"

"Step right up rook.. let me show you a great opportunity to make 100k your 1st year"

+100

Seen it many many times..My first insurance job was Liberty National- some probably know this company.. very conservative and pricey. I saw agents come and go every 3 months.

And they force new agents to write their friends and relatives.. ppbbsst..

Liberty National didnt care how many agents came and went- they got the business and if their families lapsed.. no biggie for them.. thanks for those 6 months of premiums we dont have to pay back and its one less claim we have to be liable for. "Get the secretary on the line.. time to put out another ad on craigslist for some more suckers"

"Step right up rook.. let me show you a great opportunity to make 100k your 1st year"

You hit the nail on the head with LN..:yes:

Hello I'm trying to understand this.

Someday I'd like to have my own agency but not today. Today I want to learn the business, sell, make money.

I assume I have to go work for an agency - if the agency doesn't pay me we both get paid direct?

If I'm working for an agency is the book of business mine to keep?

Hello I'm trying to understand this.

Someday I'd like to have my own agency but not today. Today I want to learn the business, sell, make money.

I assume I have to go work for an agency - if the agency doesn't pay me we both get paid direct?

If I'm working for an agency is the book of business mine to keep?[/quote]

If you work for an agency read your contract...But typically if you "work" for someone that someone will want to own the clients...

If all you are doing is getting a contract through someone, then you should be paid direct, be fully vested in all commissions FYC and Renewals and there should not be a non-compete or non-solicitation.

If your not sure paste the agency name and start looking at your contracts.

Typically, if you are working for an agency they will blow all kinds of smoke up your ass as to why they are asking you to assign your commissions. They will usually not come out and use the words, "assign your commissions", they will try to camouflage it by telling you all the "wonderful" things they will do for you.

They like to say that they will check your apps over and submit them to the company for you. That they will handle all of the calls from clients who have questions and problems so you can spend 100% of your time selling. Those are just a couple of things they will tell you.

Most agents fall for the "we will give you leads" line. If they are, count on them dramatically reducing your commission and more often than not the "leads" are direct mail and have been shared with many other agents. One is better off generating their own leads and earning the greatest amount of commission that is available.

I don't want anyone to have information on my clients. I want to handle all of the calls from my clients. If someone else is doing it them my clients are going to develop a strong relationship with and loyalty to that person, not me.

If they get a premium increase and they want to know if there is a cheaper company and call the agency do you think the person at the agency isn't going to move them into another company and not tell you? You bet they will move them and then they become their client and you have lost a client.

There is nothing anyone could promise me that would entice me to ever assign my commissions, not ever.

Also another trick the word assignment may never come up. They may have you sign an LOA contract which stands for Licensed Only Agent...This in my opion is even worse than assigning your commissions...If you assign the commissions you at least have the right to know about those commissions...If you sign an LOA contract the carrier won't even speak to you about commissions and will refer you to your upline.

Also another trick the word assignment may never come up. They may have you sign an LOA contract which stands for Licensed Only Agent...This in my opion is even worse than assigning your commissions...If you assign the commissions you at least have the right to know about those commissions...If you sign an LOA contract the carrier won't even speak to you about commissions and will refer you to your upline.

When I hear of the tactics some of them use it makes me angry. They prey upon new agents who really don't know any better and make it sound to them like it is a "great deal". Is it any wonder that there is such a high failure rate among new agents? There are those out there who intentionally set them up for failure. How do they sleep at night?

It borders on being criminal. If this forum does nothing more than alert new agents to the scams that are out there it has more than served its purpose.

I have a question.......when you get a good contract with someone such as Frank and lets say just for giggles that a year later you want or have to contract with someone else.

-Do you take your commission trail with you?

-Can they go after the clients you acquired and steal them back?

Just want a little clarification on this. See the FMO or group I currently work with (who doesn't do anything with med sups) lets you take your book/clients with you. They will actually try and buy them from you if you leave. As long as you continue to service them, you can keep them.

On a side note.....my 1,000th post.....so I'm heading over to the 1,000th post section lol.

Back