New agent needs advice on Farm Bureau vs. Independent

foxmarble

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Arizona
:mask:Hi guys, I need your proffessional wisdom please. I am excited about my desicion to change careers and go into the insurance field. I am ready to make a long term commitment to find a good home and own my life and have some control over what I can earn. I have spent the last 13 years at the same family owned auto dealership making my owner a wealthy man. I have been used to making $150k plus for the last 5 years or so (those days are gone never to return) and that is the only thing that has kept me where I was for so long. I know that It will probably take me several years to be making that kind of money again and I know that. However it is very important that I find the right home to invest my time and talents in. What do you guys know about Farm Bureau? I liked what I saw in visiting with old friends who are local agents. From what little I know they seem to have a good reputation, good products? I also have the option to work for a friend (who is a Farmers agent wanting out) who is going independant here in Phoenix. We talked the other day and he would let me take my book with me if/when I decided to go on my own. In return I would help him build his business so he could sighn the big carriers that require big agency books. What should I do? Thank You

Re: New agent needs advice on Farm Bureau vrs Independent

Welcome to a great industry! You need to discuss with your "going independent" friend the particulars about that arrangement ( marketing/business plan, compensation, etc.) Going independent is what most folks on this forum would advocate. I'm new here, and not sure why you haven't gotten more feedback by now. I'm in Louisiana and the few people I know here who have worked with Farm Bureau said it's mostly selling personal lines P&C and various cash value life products such as universal life. I think if you and your Farmers/Wanna-be-independent friend can survive and make a go of building an agency, with a preferable exit strategy for you ( if desired), that will be where your long term satisfaction will come from. You need more info from both sides there locally to make your ultimate choice. Remember, You can always shift gears if your first choice doesn't work out. This industry holds plenty enough opportunity for the right person. Hope this helped a little.

:)

Thanks agent Vinnie. Good heart felt advice. I am coming back to the board after my first venture. I will look for you in the future here.:cool:

Back