Training - Materials, Processes, Experience and Advice

Rknee1

I am currently working as a Licensed Producer for a Captive Agent. Learning the ropes in the Auto / Casualty Side and starting to learn the Commercial side also.

Have extensive experience in Life, but am not yet Health Licensed. I am licensed only for Illinois at the moment.

Plan on opening my own agency in 2 to 3 years, but would like to get all of my
ducks in a row.

What advice would experienced agents have in materials for training (sales, personal development, etc.)

What type of processes and equipment I should look into obtaining to start my agency.

Any other advice you can give. Would like to be an Agency that is open to produce in all areas.

Thanks in Advance.

Rknee1

From the way you speak I am guessing that you are an LSP for the "good hands" just like me. There is tons and tons of great info on this site.

Rk....I'm in the same boat..However my biggest issue is I'd like to do soon as I would rather own it and do things my way vs just having to sell to anything that says yes..

I'd open to sharing what I know if you're willing to do the same (knowledge about the industry what I've seen work vs not working)...

Feel free to send me a pm..

Best of luck

RK.

I'm in the same boat, the biggest difference is that I want to shrink the time frame you mentioned down to in the next 3 to 6 months.

I feel that as a lsp (even though I haven't been doing it that long for this agent) I know as much if not more than what the agent knows. Plus being a "good hands" person we are very very picky about who we write in regards to homes and I feel that while we start our clients off with low rates your guaranteed rate increases for the next few renewals and I don't like that.

I would be interested in knowing what advice you receive about various trainings, procedures, processes and equipment and would be wiling to share what I know....if your interested send me a message and we can talk.

Are you planning to go independent, or remain captive?

Either way I'd highly recommend getting your CIC designation - Certified Insurance Counselor. It will give you a broad look at how the rest of the world works insurance-wise, in all areas, plus an opportunity to network with other agents. Some will travel great distances for these classes.

It's not quick or inexpensive, but it is a valuable credential and will set you apart from the agents out there just winging it against their competition.

https://www.scic.com/courses/CIC

I would eventually like to go Indy....Will look into the CIC designation....The Agent I currently work for is an excellent salesman, great at marketing, but has very weak managerial skills.

I have the managerial skills but am not as strong as he is in sales....one reason I chose this agency to work for....to develop even better sales and marketing skills.

The only insurance license I am missing is Health and plan on obtaining it this spring. I would like to eventually obtain my 6 and 63 or 7 designation for financial.

I am not as pushy as my boss when it comes to dealing with clients. I am more of an Empathy type salesperson. For long term success I believe that you must build trust and relationship with your clients.

I totally believe in needs-based selling. In fact, I used to teach a 3 day course on this topic. So, good on you for listening and building trust.

There can be HUGE differences between IA and captive. The coverage forms are different, and the underwriting side is different.

I was with the decent neighbor when I got my P&C license. All of the ISO forms stuff a lot of the IA carriers use really threw me for a loop. That's why I think CIC is a good foundation. You will know what you are up against as it level sets the playing field.

Good Luck!

Any suggestions on training materials to read - sales, personal growth, etc. to assist in making myself into a better agent. Any sites other than this one, to obtain additional knowledge?

Any information that will help in the planning and success launch as an Indy in a couple years. I have read ( and printed out) the guides to begin as an Independent Agency - but any tip, tricks, advice that you might personally have ----- that you have now, that you wish you had when you originally opened your own agency.

Back