Would Love to Sell Auto Insurance! Couple Questions...

mrsharp

Hello all, I will preface my question with a little information about myself. I live in Michigan, I am in my early twenty's and I'm currently in automotive sales. While I like what I do and who I sell for, I am looking for more freedom in regards to both my time and my finances.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the web in general as well as on this forum and I am having a hard time finding an answer to my questions.

- Is it possible to sell auto insurance from home?
- Is it financially advantageous to sell auto insurance only (Auto, RV, Trailer ect.)?
- Which major company is the most affordable and easiest to get started with? (My research seems to point to Progressive?)
- In order to sell auto insurance from home, can somebody direct me to information on how to get started?

Thanks All!

It's much easier to start as a life and health agent, go to a big captive, let them train you, get your license. Or start as a P&C csr at an agency and work your way up to getting licensed. Let them train you. Yes, you can do P&C from home eventually but you need training and need to get licensed. If you go on your own, E&O insurance is tough for P&C, very expensive. Usually E&O covers the CSR's in an agency, as long as they don't write policies, but once the person is a satellite office or does branch out to the house as an office, away from the insurance office, the E&O considers that as another office and a new premium must be paid, so look into that. And the P&C carriers want to know how much you wrote last year. You can say zero, and they don't want to mess with you, whereas an established office has business on the books. L&H is easier: much less premiums for E&O and much less hassles with the carriers.

It's much easier to start as a life and health agent, go to a big captive, let them train you, get your license. Or start as a P&C csr at an agency and work your way up to getting licensed. Let them train you. Yes, you can do P&C from home eventually but you need training and need to get licensed. If you go on your own, E&O insurance is tough for P&C, very expensive. Usually E&O covers the CSR's in an agency, as long as they don't write policies, but once the person is a satellite office or does branch out to the house as an office, away from the insurance office, the E&O considers that as another office and a new premium must be paid, so look into that. And the P&C carriers want to know how much you wrote last year. You can say zero, and they don't want to mess with you, whereas an established office has business on the books. L&H is easier: much less premiums for E&O and much less hassles with the carriers.

I agree with this. With that said, Nationwide, Allstate, Statefarm, Erie, or Metlife might be best because they all offer home, auto, and life. Then you can learn all 3 decently well, and then go independent with them later.

Last edited:
Back