Cold Calling Reluctance

Justin, just asking, what about a 10-pay or 20-pay paid up small whole life policy for his FE...along with term instead of term ROP...

Justin, just asking, what about a 10-pay or 20-pay paid up small whole life policy for his FE...along with term instead of term ROP...

I first off want to sell him something small to get him to become a client. If I start confusing him with paid up, and take loans this etc. nahh, too complicated. These people understand term, permanent, and return of premium.

This also helps him with retirement, I spelled out retirement benefits for him and his wife on SS incomes and they said there's no way they can live on that, so with Trans ROP, they don't need to wait till the end for rop, they have a surrender schedule for access to the money. I was satisfying the need and greed.
If he looks at the 30 year term, and wants that I will sell that, but paid ups are for middle-upper income imo.
I have tried paid ups with Settlers and Mon, they always shy away from it, their thinking is, if its cheaper per month for life pay, I want that...

Here's my numbers for today, went out at 2pm-5pm.
Got 16 not homes, 15 no thank yous, 4 not nows (half gave me full info to call them back at a better time the other half booked appointments) and 3 leads (two of which sat down but couldn't close). I almost had this lady, she's like, "COPD", I said no problem, she said "OXYGEN", I said "$hit". She didn't want graded but she said she will think it over, in the mean time, she gave me two referrals for her sister and niece, and called them up while I was there to tell them to expect my call. So 2 referrals! Got three appointments set outa the bunch, so all in all, it coulda been better with the one quote I had, didn't ask him enough questions to build the immediate need.
But all in all, a great day, for the number of leads and appointments and two sit downs for 3 hours of walking one street.

I first off want to sell him something small to get him to become a client. If I start confusing him with paid up, and take loans this etc. nahh, too complicated. These people understand term, permanent, and return of premium.

This also helps him with retirement, I spelled out retirement benefits for him and his wife on SS incomes and they said there's no way they can live on that, so with Trans ROP, they don't need to wait till the end for rop, they have a surrender schedule for access to the money. I was satisfying the need and greed.
If he looks at the 30 year term, and wants that I will sell that, but paid ups are for middle-upper income imo.
I have tried paid ups with Settlers and Mon, they always shy away from it, their thinking is, if its cheaper per month for life pay, I want that...

Here's my numbers for today, went out at 2pm-5pm.
Got 16 not homes, 15 no thank yous, 4 not nows (half gave me full info to call them back at a better time the other half booked appointments) and 3 leads (two of which sat down but couldn't close). I almost had this lady, she's like, "COPD", I said no problem, she said "OXYGEN", I said "". She didn't want graded but she said she will think it over, in the mean time, she gave me two referrals for her sister and niece, and called them up while I was there to tell them to expect my call. So 2 referrals! Got three appointments set outa the bunch, so all in all, it coulda been better with the one quote I had, didn't ask him enough questions to build the immediate need.
But all in all, a great day, for the number of leads and appointments and two sit downs for 3 hours of walking one street.

I was not telling you what to do, just asking if using a small paid up would work in the scenario...

I tend to agree, the 10 & 20 pay high premiums tend to make people shy away, but in the long run, it can work out in their favor.
People don't look down the road 10 or 20 years, they look at their check book today...

I was not telling you what to do, just asking if using a small paid up would work in the scenario...

I tend to agree, the 10 & 20 pay high premiums tend to make people shy away, but in the long run, it can work out in their favor.
People don't look down the road 10 or 20 years, they look at their check book today...

I am the biggest fan of paid ups, I agree they are the best for people's situation in the long run, but to get to the long run you have to survive the short run, and a lower monthly payment is the mantra of the income demographic of Cleveland. Its a philosophy, a mind set that pervades all levels of planning.

Its just a mind set thing. If they were long-term mind oriented, they wouldn't be where they are at. So I will just simplify it for them. 3 ways to pay is small whole life, some term, or rop to help with retirement. It's as good as it gets.

The thing I like the most about this case is no exam. He just had an exam not too long ago and most carriers have a program that will take people at the same underwritten level within so many years for approved carriers. So I can just sign him up with Trans 30 year supertrendsetter and if he wants the rop he can have the rop, but he definitely needs a 30 year term, not a 15 year, so thats in the bag.

Switching gears, I need to develop a lead sheet that I can have on my black binder that I can write lead info on, this notecard **** makes for elaborate deciphering of the notes I wrote.

I also have a point system I will be adhering to, I will post that soon.

Regarding today, met quite a few people out, nobody was rude. I gotta refine my auto pitch for youngsters I meet.

Empty, thanks for posting your results. So here's mine for today.

Made 92 calls from a list (age 67) for med supps and FE. About 15 disconnected numbers. About 50 no answers or machine. Only 2 hang ups. Almost set an appointment for a med supp replacement. He had Humana. A more experienced agent could probably have got it. I did get a lead for FE. The lady said they have term policies through NYL and the agent told them they were too old to get whole life. Her husband was out of town and she wants me to call next week when he's back. She tried to give me his cell number, but I declined.

On a higher note, today I set enrollment dates for voluntary benefits for a 100 life group which started with a cold call a few weeks ago. This is my biggest group to date. Needed that one. Yes sir!

Justin -- Don't you know that cold calling doesn't work?

How many times do I have to tell you...

It does seem to work for chit chatting with people and building false hopes. It doesn't seem to be getting sales results.

Maybe that's in chapter 2?

I love having companies that give the reduced paid up along withe cash value tables.. I can normally show a person where they can get 50% - 100% more coverage while they are paying their premiums and still have the same amount of paid up at the end of 20 years.. When I have those values at my finger tips, I don't think I have ever failed to replace a newly issued policy written on a 20 pay plan or had a client choose the paid up policy when I offered them the option of buying either of the plans.

Last edited:
If I wasn't getting such great results with my direct mail program, I would dedicate a whole month to cold calling door to door FE prospects, just to prove the naysayers that it would work, albeit not as good as direct mail.

It does seem to work for chit chatting with people and building false hopes. It doesn't seem to be getting sales results.

Maybe that's in chapter 2?

If I wasn't getting such great results with my direct mail program, I would dedicate a whole month to cold calling door to door FE prospects, just to prove the naysayers that it would work, albeit not as good as direct mail.

How that prove it? All it wu woulpve isthaits not as effetive a seningney na and wuld somthing morepcsthan money, time!

That's already been proven. Why would you waste more time to re-prove it?

But, as opposed to most of the experts that post here about cold calling you might actually sell something during that month.

How that prove it? All it wu woulpve isthaits not as effetive a seningney na and wuld somthing morepcsthan money, time!

That's already been proven. Why would you waste more time to re-prove it?

But, as opposed to most of the experts that post here about cold calling you might actually sell something during that month.

Drink much when writing this?

Do you and margaritas trade off on who is gonna haunt the cold calling threads to sound like a broken record?
You guys are annoying as ****, why don't you stick to the FE threads huh?

Back