Cold Calling

Be open and fearless with the GK. Tell them exactly who you are were your from if they ask. Answer all of their questions - being sneeky most of the time wont work. If you treat them right they will open all the doors. You got to put yourselves in their shoes. If a caller sounds like a robot and wont even answer the GK's questions without sounding shady they will assume you will do the same with their boss.

One thing that I focus on is if it sounds like they are screening you politely ask them why. Have you used the same agent for a while? Do they golf together ahahahah etc If so move on.

Does anyone have any tips for getting past the Gatekeeper, I can't even get to the Decision maker?
Michele

I assume by this post location you are referring to calling the business by telephone. Here are my suggestions and most of my book of business, which is very nice sized, is mostly from cold calling.

1. Don't call on businesses with a gatekeepers such as doctors offices, lawyers, etc. Why waste your time when you can use that time to call on a business where you can reach the D.M? I quit calling on doctors offices and the likes a long time ago.

2. If it's a large account and worth your time, find another way to get to the gatekeeper. Ask your friends and relatives, and even current clients to introduce you.

3. A lot of people disagree with this, but leave a voicemail. Why, because the person's name is almost always included in their message. As a bonus, if they actually call you back that means they want to hear what you have to say or to let you know that they are not interested saving you from wasting time.

I assume by this post location you are referring to calling the business by telephone. Here are my suggestions and most of my book of business, which is very nice sized, is mostly from cold calling.

1. Don't call on businesses with a gatekeepers such as doctors offices, lawyers, etc. Why waste your time when you can use that time to call on a business where you can reach the D.M? I quit calling on doctors offices and the likes a long time ago.

2. If it's a large account and worth your time, find another way to get to the gatekeeper. Ask your friends and relatives, and even current clients to introduce you.

3. A lot of people disagree with this, but leave a voicemail. Why, because the person's name is almost always included in their message. As a bonus, if they actually call you back that means they want to hear what you have to say or to let you know that they are not interested saving you from wasting time.

^^^Exactly. Why waste your time when the vast majority of business owners have no gatekeeper?

^^^Exactly. Why waste your time when the vast majority of business owners have no gatekeeper?

Well if you deal with under 10 eomployees ya... anything over that your gonna get a recep... i would say less then 15 % of my calls i will never get past gk without knowing why they dont get quotes. By friendly they will give you a shot to talk to them

Does anyone have any tips for getting past the Gatekeeper, I can't even get to the Decision maker?
Michele

I agree, just be blunt and upfront. My usual response to "Can I tell him what it's in regards to?" is "Sure. We've never spoken before, I am calling him as a sales call. I wanted to introduce myself, is he available? "

I agree, just be blunt and upfront. My usual response to "Can I tell him what it's in regards to?" is "Sure. We've never spoken before, I am calling him as a sales call. I wanted to introduce myself, is he available? "

If I have their renewal date I tell them its regarding the blah blah blah insurance coming up in _renewal__ month.

If I dont have their renewal I use " I wanted to find out what month the plans come up again and if they take proposals from time to time"

honesty is the best policy ;)

Honesty is definitely the way to go if you ever want to call back. My technique has been the same for years and that is to say to them exactly what I would say to the decision maker. Works wonders for me. If they still won't put me through I ask for help... Such as... maybe you can help me out. Is there a good time to catch ____? Does he come in early or stay late? Does he usually communicate by email or is the phone the best way to reach him?

If you are nice to them, you can pretty much find out just about anything you want. If they are helpful, I send them a thank you note and for the really good ones, I include a $5 giftcard to dunkin donuts and say something like.. "Thank you for being so nice and helpful when we spoke. Your next cup of coffee is on me!"

About 10% of the time I get a return call or email from the person saying thank you for the gift card.

Good luck!

Back