Real Cold Calling

doorknocker

I have about 1000 auto/home/umbrella policies in 2 years from cold calling. Literal cold calling (door to door). Yeah it's cold this time of year but it's worth it when you get 5-10 solid leads a day in 1-2 hours per day. Then, when you contact these people they are warm. You have already met them, seen their house, and made them smile. I'm not f#$%ing with you folks, if you want to have real success fast and cheap, there is no better way.

I know probably 2 or 3 people at any given time wanting that type if insurance. I think a good agent keeping in contact with several companies to choose from could do well in that market.

Props for door knocking. I think that for p&c that is absolutely the way to do it! Also let's you cherry pick good risk.

I think this is going to depend on your state and city. Door to door is a lot less common than it used to be, so people don't expect it. I worked a few political campaigns in nice areas going to visit registered voters. Most apartment dwellers answer the door with a weapon and I had a brief, very scary standoff with a couple of large and aggressive dogs. They chased the car down the street. I'm not doing that any more unless the prospect knows I'm coming. :no:

I have about 1000 auto/home/umbrella policies in 2 years from cold calling. Literal cold calling (door to door). Yeah it's cold this time of year but it's worth it when you get 5-10 solid leads a day in 1-2 hours per day. Then, when you contact these people they are warm. You have already met them, seen their house, and made them smile. I'm not f#$%ing with you folks, if you want to have real success fast and cheap, there is no better way.

Way to do it man. Do what others are not doing! A lot better than buying lists scrubbed of DNC and calling the same dumb people (dumb enough to not opt out of DNC) as a hundred other telemarketers.

I think this is going to depend on your state and city. Door to door is a lot less common than it used to be, so people don't expect it. I worked a few political campaigns in nice areas going to visit registered voters. Most apartment dwellers answer the door with a weapon and I had a brief, very scary standoff with a couple of large and aggressive dogs. They chased the car down the street. I'm not doing that any more unless the prospect knows I'm coming. :no:

Lol, this is so true, I guess this really depends on where you live. Better to go knocking in the nicer neighborhoods only.

You never know what to expect behind any door you knock on but without a doubt the poor neighborhoods would be a little more risky. I think it would be a good idea to take some mace with you for any dogs. Heck, I would probably be packing myself.

I'm really not scared myself. People and dogs more so pick up on that. In my area, they offer a two weeks training course for free (donation too) to learn self defense by a couple of martial artist.

I feel like I take a risk every time I go down to the beach and paddle out on my board because I know there are sharks all around. My buddy got bit on the ankle recently and had to get 50 stitches from a Bull shark. He just held onto his board to the shark didn't take him down with him.

If I go neighborhood knocking, I would bring someone else with me to be nearby along with my cell phone tracking application just to be safe. If invited inside I would make sure to mention I am with a group so I have to report first with a phone call or else they are instructed to call authorities per protocal per group instructions. (something along those lines). If something just doesn't seem right, I'm not going into any house.

My advice is keep knocking just be safe.

People get too caught up with city soliciting ordinances and the "serial killers" house they may accidentally knock on. Forget about that stuff. Go to nice neighborhoods; self-audit the houses before you walk up the driveway. I carry nothing but business cards and a small notepad I put in my pocket. If a cop comes by I tell him I am not selling anything I'm simply handing out cards and introducing myself. This is basically what I do. Now if they are interested I will get all of the information from them I possibly can ( birthdays, socials, dec pages) and get back to them the next day with a quote. The majority of the leads will be their #, who they are with, email, and time to give them a call. I then send them a nice email, send them a nice card, and call them in 2-3 days to get the info for a quote. Just do what Nike says: "Just do it" and you'll be amazed with the results.

Do you work out of an agency or are you inde? If inde, what provider do you go through for multiple lines?

Back