Google Changes - Article Directories

I guess the issue with article directories is that most articles will "rank and tank" if they rank at all.

When you publish an article it gets linked to from the top of the home page of the directory or from the top of the main page of the appropriate category. But shortly after that, it moves down Johnny Carson's couch as new articles arrive.

I wonder if the SEO benefit is also short lived and if I'm not doing much more than pinging my site with the links in the author box.

Below is an email message written by the #1 article marketing author on EzineArticles - He has over 24,000 articles posted. This is his take. Keep in mind he is selling articles marketing courses -

" I have really been excited the last few days after the latest google algorithm shift that basically devalues content that
is duplicate, copied content online, from showing in
the search results.

Yes, I am really excited!

I know that sounds crazy, because I have seen alot of posts
online that are reflecting that their business model is ruined,
etc....and yet I am really excited, why??

Here's why:

First off, for the last 4 years or so, I have been predicting that
google would finally target the trash content online, when article
spinning came out, I experimented with it some, realized
that software would never create original content (duh!), and then
predicted that google would come up with an
algorithm change that would defeat all that worthless
article marketing trash out there.

As a result, I have taught to only submit original content,
not use spinners, not to use duplicate content on your
site, on ezinearticles, or on any site you care about. ONLY to
use duplicate content on a site that doesn't matter for the
express purpose of getting inbound links.

And I have done that myself. However, it has been from time
to time frustrating when the "cheaters" get traffic I should
be getting (and you should be getting).

And of course I have had to constantly explain to people
(some of them my clients) who keep asking me why
I don't do things the way "everyone else" does. Do you
know how tired I got of hearing "well so-and-so says
I should do it that way".

But now my business can flourish the way I designed it over 4 years
ago because google has finally made the change.

And if you are doing article marketing the way I teach
exactly, and not the way "everyone else" is doing it, then
you can get the same results I get - in fact, even greater, with
the new change!

Now - you see why I'm excited?? Aren't you?

I thought so!!!

Sean Mize

Run your site thru copyscape, review the results.

If you get results with your content on low quality sites, and complete garbage pages then you will also have huge problems. Especially if you created these pages.

Someone on this thread has a huge problem with this.:no:

Last edited:
Run your site thru copyscape, review the results.

If you get results with your content on low quality sites, and complete garbage pages then you will also have huge problems. Especially if you created these pages.

Someone on this thread has a huge problem with this.:no:

I might be wrong here but what I have read about plagiarism in general is that it will tank the site that plagiarized the article, based on who had the content indexed first.

I've seen my content plagiarized several times and gotten some of it removed, but I would imagine if it was that easy to tank a site you'd see people plagiarizing snippets of websites and replicating then pinging all day long to move other sites down.

It doesn't appear to work that way.

I talk to a lot of affiliate marketing guys and none of them seem to think it has significant impact on anything.

I've seen pages that have stolen my content from my blogs rank higher than my original post. They got indexed first and looked like the originator.

I closed down my RSS feed and that seemed to solve the problem.

I'm sure there is a better solution, so I'm all ears.

Delay RSS for 24 hours. Google will come over to your home page within 24 hours, link to new content has to stay on the first page until google indexes it.

I don't know... re WordPress. I program everything myself.

P.S. I don't have a RSS feed though... Is there a real reason to add it?

Is there a setting on WordPress to delay the RSS feed, or does it need to be done manually?

Without really digging through it if you're self hosting wordpress you'd probably have to insert a piece of code in the wordpress code to do it correctly.

I know in C we'd set a while loop to check every x number of seconds for things that were set to delay send, then a conditional to check to see if the time had been passed based on server time.

The code would be something like

<?php

$currentDay = date(n);
$tomorrowDay = $currentDay + 1;

if($tomorrowDay > 28) $tomorrowDay = 1; //to deal with months longer than 28 days

while($currentDate != $tomorrowDay){
$currentDay = date(n);
sleep(600);
};

echo '(rss feed)';

?>

If that sounds too confusing, might just not want to bother with the RSS feed, or:

A better solution might be to change your ping list on wordpress so your posts index a lot faster, if they're taking 24 hours to ping then you're not using a very good list. Mine are usually indexed in like 15-30 minutes.

If you tried to hardcode a delay, you'd just want to add that piece of php snippet to the code that submits the RSS feed. It would delay itself till the next calendar day that way.

Last edited:
Back