Independent Insurance Producer-Working with Spouse

Hello From Connecticut,

I started working with my husband in 2013. My background is in technology so I studied a lot and received my Life/Health licenses and series 6/63. I also have a certificate in paraplanning. Our office is small, my husband and an assistant. He has a book of business that he grew by working at a bank and in 2006 he became an independent advisor. We have three children so I was able to stay at home, volunteer in the community and help him out at the office with any computer problems. I never thought of insurance sales as a career, but I like to help people and I enjoy doing research, so we thought it would be a good fit. He works on the investment side and I work on the insurance side.

I haven't sold a lot of policies and am looking for ways to increase our client base. I just setup a linkedin account and now will work on a Facebook account. I know that joining forums and associations is a great resource. I also plan to join my local chamber of commerce in the spring and figure out ways to volunteer in the town we have an office.

I also would like to study for the CFP exam. I feel that would be a great education experience for someone who doesn't have a financial background. I understand it's a hard exam to pass. One more point - this is my second career for a woman in her mid-fifties, so I figure on working until 70 and maybe we can convince one of our children to join the business. Being independent allows you to be the boss.

Looking forward to learning from the experienced agents on this forum.

Last edited:
Welcome! There's a LOT here to research and a decent network of professionals (and some not quite so professional :)).

As you learn about the advanced uses of life insurance in personal planning, you may find some cognitive dissonance as you determine whether investments or insurance may be better to help your clients build tax-free retirement wealth. You can still do both, and MANY producers do exactly that, but it does take some learning and adjusting.

Welcome! There's a LOT here to research and a decent network of professionals (and some not quite so professional :)).

As you learn about the advanced uses of life insurance in personal planning, you may find some cognitive dissonance as you determine whether investments or insurance may be better to help your clients build tax-free retirement wealth. You can still do both, and MANY producers do exactly that, but it does take some learning and adjusting.

Hey now, no need to drag me into this conversation.:twitchy:

Latest posts

Back