Selling Life and P&C

Hello all,
I have sold life, health, p&c, annuities, workplace, and done investments as a captive agent for more than 12 years and have recently moved to the independent side. I am currently getting set up to with p&c companies and have a contract or three with brokers for life, ltc, med-supl, etc.

I am overwhelmed with all the carriers for life and p&c and I see things allot differently now that I can quote life for someone through at least 15 companies with just one broker, and the same is true with p&c.

My questions is this. Is there anyone here that is selling p&c, and financial products such as life, investments, ltc, disability, etc.. on the independent side? If so, how do you pick what companies to use? For example, do you have 5 or so life companies that you mostly use, and one or two annuity companies?

The better question is this. Should I put my focus on one product at a time to start off with or can I start off selling p&c and life and add more on later? I have sold it all and feel comfortable with it all, but don't know if I should go all in or take it a little at the time.

Any suggestions from successful agents would be appreciated.

Im in Mississippi by the way.

I opted to stick to a primary for life. If you are going to get onboard with the long tern residuals and pensions, you benefit more from focusing on a single carrier. My criteria for a primary carrier was A+ ratings, leading term pricing, track record of decent dividend returns and decent people in the organization.

I am torn whether or not to go P&C at this point. So much to learn with Life and health, but I am starting to get a handle on it, however, and think the time is near for getting P&C license. Everyone asks if I can do home and health...plus there are other large opportunities for me since my wife works for a REIT and they need to insure a lot of properties...although they are in bed with AON currently. The question with me and P&C is, can I compete on pricing.

Good luck and have fun ! ;)

There was a slightly larger learning curve for me on the p&c side, but if you have that kind of contact it may be well worth your while to persue a p&c license. You might want to look in your area for a broker where you can access several p&c companies. Without a broker it will be very hard to get contracted. Thanks for your help on the Life Question, I wish you the best of luck!

Hello all,
I have sold life, health, p&c, annuities, workplace, and done investments as a captive agent for more than 12 years and have recently moved to the independent side. I am currently getting set up to with p&c companies and have a contract or three with brokers for life, ltc, med-supl, etc.

I am overwhelmed with all the carriers for life and p&c and I see things allot differently now that I can quote life for someone through at least 15 companies with just one broker, and the same is true with p&c.

My questions is this. Is there anyone here that is selling p&c, and financial products such as life, investments, ltc, disability, etc.. on the independent side? If so, how do you pick what companies to use? For example, do you have 5 or so life companies that you mostly use, and one or two annuity companies?

The better question is this. Should I put my focus on one product at a time to start off with or can I start off selling p&c and life and add more on later? I have sold it all and feel comfortable with it all, but don't know if I should go all in or take it a little at the time.

I pick companies that will take the clients I find and offer them a good price and issue it in a hurry.

Sometimes you just have to test drive a company to see if it is a good company for your clients.

Click Here to see the companies that I Market for.

I think it is important to have more then 1 company....Most agents that I know, have more then 5 companies..

Hello all,

I focus on life, medicare advantage and PDP... That's pretty much it. I've also been licensed in P&C and series 6 & 63. But early on realized a focused approach was more effecient...And much easier and less overhead. Just look around at all the other successful small businesses. Most are not trying to wear too many hats. Besides I like Life insurance. Very little service, one claim. And lots of repeat biz with very little shopping...

I know a few people who are independent P&C agents, who also sell life insurance. None of them are really huge life producers and spend the majority of their time with P&C. The reasons I heard for that involve things like P&C is more time consuming andthe volume requirement is much larger but the business seems to be more readily accessible, but I think the largest one is simply that they've developed an edge with P&C that they simply don't have with life/health/investments.

As you likely already know, the P&C market varies by location (e.g. price differences based on zip codes) so there's a lot more to know in terms of playing the game that can either make you a hero or a loser.

The life side usually focuses much more on getting larger clients with more money. Not always, but usually.

Hello all,

I am new in this business and I started with just a few carriers. I want to share my great experience with my IMO, Simplified Insurance Group. I thought I'd share it with you guys, though I am not an endorser :no:. And yes, you can do business with them in Mississippi. You can go to their website and read the about us page. See what they are offering.

Back