Self Employed, but Do Not Have Health Coverage!

This particular one would not fare well in the outdoors. However, my business is all about custom orders!!! Think of this more as an example of my attention to detail. I can very easily make outdoor tables as well. I don't visit this thread often, as my insurance question was already answered, so if you are interested in a quote, I'd be more than happy to give you one. Just go to my websites contact page, and I will get back to you. To answer your other question, cost of the table depends on factors. That being said, I have charged as little as $5/hr for my work. :)

I hope somebody can give me a straight answer here. I am 40 years old, and last September left my full time corporate job to pursue my own small business. Since then, I have been working building furniture/art but have not sold ONE piece! Yikes! Therefore, I haven't received a paycheck in nine months. I recently cancelled my annual physical with my doctor (for lack of insurance and income) and more recently, cancelled my colonoscopy (which is recommended for me every five years). Do I qualify for any medical assistance in the state of NC? Not sure if technically I fall under "unemployed" considering I haven't made a dollar in nine months, or what. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Why didn't you keep working and pursue thus on the side until you could build it up?

Thank you Steve!! If you are serious and would like a quote, I will be more than happy to provide one. Just go to my contact page on my website. I am not on this thread often, as I already got my insurance answer above. To answer your questions. That PARTICULAR table would be for indoor use only. However, I can very easily build an outdoor table. It can even have battery power that will be protected from the elements. I think my failure in business is that I cannot stress enough - custom orders is my forte! While what you saw on my site is for sale, I want to build tables EXACTLY the way people want them. Indoors, Outdoors, electrical, no electrical, beach, farm, religious, sports, recreation, historic event...the list is ENDLESS! So, if you are serious, send me an e-mail through my site, and I will answer them for you! Regarding prices - they vary. The ones on my website are anywhere from $900 - $3500.

----------

Why didn't you keep working and pursue thus on the side until you could build it up?
That is a great question. Many reasons. First, I had that job for seven years and I hated it the entire time. I held onto it so that I would have income. Secondly, building tables take a lot of time. Upwards of 200 or more hours on some. That, plus the time to market, build my website, etc. etc...I was able to build about 2 tables per year. I quit my job on my 40th Birthday. And lastly, with hindsight, I probably would not have. But it is almost no different than if you were to open a store yourself. Almost impossible to do it while working full time. I figured it would be tough...not non-existant.

Back