Designated Driver for a Living - how to Insure?

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have an insured who's basically a DD for a living. If groups of people want a driver for the night, or a trip to the airport or whatever...they pay him a fee & he drives them around in their car.

Would their permissive use cover him? Obviously if anything fell back on his personal auto that would be excluded because he's doing something for a fee. He even has drivers under him at this point.

How would you even insure something like this?

I have an insured who's basically a DD for a living. If groups of people want a driver for the night, or a trip to the airport or whatever...they pay him a fee & he drives them around in their car. Would their permissive use cover him? Obviously if anything fell back on his personal auto that would be excluded because he's doing something for a fee. He even has drivers under him at this point. How would you even insure something like this?

This is a tough class to insure.

Only specific carriers like lancer write this on a commercial auto policy.

A personal auto policy in no way will cover this

but how do i write a commercial policy if i'm not insuring any scheduled autos? they drive OTHER peoples cars for them?

This is a claim (multiple claims) waiting to happen. It is basically a livery service, but without owning the vehicle, I have no idea who would insure this. Whatever you find will be expensive.

Why not just use the drivers car? It would probably be more beneficial in the long run. When you start driving other peoples cars you are going to start having claims for damage that the driver didn't do and more claims for damage they did since they aren't as familiar with the car.

Dan

so can somebody purchase that type of policy without their business owning a car?

You would have to check with your carriers about that, but Symbol 9 for the physical damage should provide the coverage. Unfortunately you will probably need to discuss this with a true underwriter and those are hard to find these days. GL

Latest posts

Back