New Agent in California - Looking to go Independent

G

Hi,

I am a new agent; just got my license. I have about 6 months of expirience working with an agency/brokerage. I want to start my agency (go independent) by September of this year. What are the exact steps that I have to take. Can someone please help?

You won't get much help on the P&C forum unless your name is "insurancechick" or something like that. I'm a captive agent and have researched going independent.Do you mean "independent" as in start your own agency, or "independent" as in not getting an exclusive contract with one of the big carriers like Farmers, StateFarm, Allstate?

If you want to work with one of the above companies or a company like them you need to get in contact with on of the regional or district managers, they'll tell you what to do from there.
If you want to go the independent route and work directly with carriers you'll have to get contracts with them, which will prove very difficult if your brand new. They usually like to see a track record of success or a book of business. You need to search them through the internet and give them a call. The other route is to look into a company like SmartChoiceAgents.com. They can get you the contracts with the carriers, but you'll be under them. You can build your business this way and when you have a good track record start looking to get direct appointments with carriers. I'm not an expert, but I hope this helps

Thanks a lot for the advice. I am actually looking into opening my own agency not get a contract with Farmers or anything like that. Do you know if this Smart Choice Agent is really helpful for my situation? I mean, by the time i realy do start opening the business it will be a year of experience for me. Do they take agents that young?

Juan,

I don't work with Smart Choice, but I know about them . They will appoint you with some of their carriers, but you will have a small premium requirement to meet. So you can get appointments through them. Call them and they'll direct you to a regional manager and he'll give you all the details.

To answer your questions, yes they will take new agents. Good luck

Back