Additional Certifications/licenses for Med Sup?

pdloose

I just got my license and am looking to start selling medicare supplements and am a bit confused as to the next steps in the process. Do I get appointed with carriers first, then they have me get more certifications to sell their products or do I take the certifications first and then contact the carriers? I've heard certain states require additional certifications for med sups while others do not. Where do I find this info?

Should I just get contracted with an FMO or GA and go through them?

Just want to make I go by the book here. Thanks in advance!

North Carolina is the only State (to the best of my knowledge), where you need a special LOA to sell Med Supps:

https://www.nipr.com/rules_nc_rl.htm

"Applicants applying for Medicare Supplement/Long Term Care line of authority must have an active Producer license with Accident and Health or Sickness line of authority prior to applying for Medicare Support/Long Term care."

I just got my license and am looking to start selling medicare supplements and am a bit confused as to the next steps in the process. Do I get appointed with carriers first, then they have me get more certifications to sell their products or do I take the certifications first and then contact the carriers? I've heard certain states require additional certifications for med sups while others do not. Where do I find this info?

Should I just get contracted with an FMO or GA and go through them?

Just want to make I go by the book here. Thanks in advance!

Along with the other 2 replies, most certifications are for selling Medicare Advantage plans, which I would suggest you pick up as well.

If you are new, you're going to need an FMO that can help train you. Another good way for training is MedicareTraining101.com

North Carolina is the only State (to the best of my knowledge), where you need a special LOA to sell Med Supps:

"Applicants applying for Medicare Supplement/Long Term Care line of authority must have an active Producer license with Accident and Health or Sickness line of authority prior to applying for Medicare Support/Long Term care."

Thanks for this info! My resident license is in Maryland and I am actually looking to do business in North Carolina. I'm still not sure if I need to get my non-resident license for NC then I can get the Medicare/LTC license. Also don't know if I have to take a test or just pay to get the license?

I have emailed the ncdoi and will call them next week to get more info. Thanks again for helping me out!

Thanks for this info! My resident license is in Maryland and I am actually looking to do business in North Carolina. I'm still not sure if I need to get my non-resident license for NC then I can get the Medicare/LTC license. Also don't know if I have to take a test or just pay to get the license?

I have emailed the ncdoi and will call them next week to get more info. Thanks again for helping me out!

Since you have your life and health license in MD, all you have to do is pay the non-res fee for NC. No testing for it.

I know there is no testing for the life/health non-res license but is there also no testing for the med supp/long term care?

Thanks Todd!

Back