Congress Looking at Limiting Medigap Options

Exactly what the conventional wisdom was about the under 65 health insurance market...

Not sure I completely agree with that. Especially ever since Hillary's failed bid. A former local and then syndicated talk radio host, Neal Boortz, has been saying for 2+ decades that a form of nationalized care was coming. Not quite here yet, but we're on our way. There was somewhat of a perfect storm which allowed ACA to get passed.

That's not to say there won't be something crazy to happen with Medicare, but I don't think it's conventional wisdom that nothing will happen. However, we only have to look at politics to see it's hard to get something done with Medicare. Every time a Republican proposes something regarding Medicare, the fear mongers come out. I don't see that changing. It will take another perfect storm.

The forecast is partly cloudy right now. But as you know, especially in Florida, the weather can change fairly quickly.

And will put you out of business within 24 months. Rick
I just made a note on my calendar to find and resurrect this thread on January 24, 2017. Assumes of course that I can find the time between my jobs at All American Burger and Captain Hook's Fish and Chips.

Commission cut from 20-25% FYC to 4-6% is "reaping the benefits"?

1. My commission was never above 10%. After year 3, it was 5%. So going to 6% wasn't a huge hit
2. I increased my indy head count due to lack of underwriting by almost 50%
3. I have very little "true" subsidy business. (Those that really qualify vs. paper qualify)
4. Groups held
5. So many agents got out, that many of my conversations start with "my agent doesn't do health anymore, can you help me?"

Yeah, I'm one of those who is reaping the benefits.

But by all means....more agents need to get out now!!! The sky is falling!!!

1. My commission was never above 10%. After year 3, it was 5%. So going to 6% wasn't a huge hit 2. I increased my indy head count due to lack of underwriting by almost 50% 3. I have very little "true" subsidy business. (Those that really qualify vs. paper qualify) 4. Groups held 5. So many agents got out, that many of my conversations start with "my agent doesn't do health anymore, can you help me?" Yeah, I'm one of those who is reaping the benefits. But by all means....more agents need to get out now!!! The sky is falling!!!
My experience exactly except #4. Never got into the group market. Because my clientele is mostly off-exchange, over 55 years old, commission at 6% pays much more than med supps, though renewals are a little lower.

Unfortunately, the fact is that one day congress is going to put us out of business. My hope is that I see it coming far enough in advance to pivot to p&c by cross selling my book before it disappears. My big fear is combining part a and b and implementing a moop. This would completely eliminate the need for a medigap plan. Good news is this type of reform might take a year or 2 to implement so we might have time figure out another way to make a living.

Unfortunately it's looking that way. . .implenting the combined deductible with a moop would be horrible for anyone with a serious illness. Nice that we pay for Congress and they don't have to worry about any of this for themselves. . .

Back