Guaranteed Issue - Medigap High F to a Regular F

Mikeol

Hi! I'm new to the insurance industry and want to get some knowledge on this!

Thanks in advance for all the great posts and threads, I have learned much from everyone here!

My main question was this. If someone is on a Medicare Supplement plan, and that plan happens to be a High Deductible Plan F and they are wanting to switch to a regular Plan F, within the same company, are they guaranteed issue WITHOUT underwriting? or Vice versa, going from Plan F to a High deductible F? I've read the choosing a medigap plan, but I think at this point I'm overloaded with information that I can't connect the dots.

Thanks in advance
-Mike! :cool:

Switching to regular Plan F there is definately UW. Probably the same switching to high F. But I do not know why an Ins. Co. would stop an unhealthy person switching to a high F.

Switching to regular Plan F there is definately UW. Probably the same switching to high F. But I do not know why an Ins. Co. would stop an unhealthy person switching to a high F.

Correct on u/w going from High F to Plan F.
Should be NO u/w on switch to High F from Plan F, in other words reducing coverage requires NO u/w, as a general rule.

Not true. Using MOO as an example there is UW on any downgrade in plans.

As a rule of thumb, any time you wish to "upgrade", this will require underwriting approval.
As pointed out above, not always the case.

I don't know of any special underwriting exemption moving from one plan to another, regardless of up or downgrade.

The reason a company wouldn't want to GI a downgrade is that if the person is healthy (and if so he could be underwritten), they receive about 25% of the full Plan F premium.

If the person is not healthy and is subject to a great deal of expense, trading the deductible for 75% of the premium is not a good deal for the company.

So either way, the move will be subject to underwriting - unless I'm told different by an insurance carrier.

Rick

Hi! I'm new to the insurance industry and want to get some knowledge on this!

Thanks in advance for all the great posts and threads, I have learned much from everyone here!

My main question was this. If someone is on a Medicare Supplement plan, and that plan happens to be a High Deductible Plan F and they are wanting to switch to a regular Plan F, within the same company, are they guaranteed issue WITHOUT underwriting? or Vice versa, going from Plan F to a High deductible F? I've read the choosing a medigap plan, but I think at this point I'm overloaded with information that I can't connect the dots.

Thanks in advance
-Mike! :cool:

If a particular company offers the option you are talking about... you need to talk to the company. Not a forum.

Good luck, keep asking questions, keep reading.

Last edited:
You do understand the "Choosing a Medigap" book is written in 5th grade level terms, right?

If anything in that simple book overloads you... quit.

And if a particular company offers the option you are talking about... you need to talk to the company. Not a forum.

Oh boy here we go again with Medicare god preaching his wisdom... Go away

Originally Posted by G.Gordon Image:
You do understand the "Choosing a Medigap" book is written in 5th grade level terms, right?

If anything in that simple book overloads you... quit.

And if a particular company offers the option you are talking about... you need to talk to the company. Not a forum.

Oh boy here we go again with Medicare god preaching his wisdom... Go away

>>> LIKE <<<

Mikeol, don't listen to Gordon, he's full of s... himself.
Guys with little d.... like to put others down. ha

Back