I Have Been Invited to Give a MedSup Seminar... Help?!

NAF1138

Guru
I don't do seminar sales, but I made a friend who has invited to give seminars at 4 senior centers I in the first 2 weeks of October. While I used to be a teacher and am comfortable talking to groups I have never given an insurance seminar and don't know what should be expected. My biggest questions are, what should I focus on, is putting together a PowerPoint a good idea or is it a distraction, how do I convert the seminar into actual appointments? I am sure there is a ton of stuff I haven't even thought of. I am out of my depth (I have only been selling insurance at all since March) but it seemed like too good an opportunity to turn down. Can you guys help?

If it matters I am in Pennsylvania.

Powerpoint equals snooze fest. Don't do it.

Can you have the attendees fill out a questionnaire prior to the event on what their biggest frustrations/confusions are? Then just talk about that stuff.

If not then start out your presentation with "I have tons of boring power points I can show you or we can specifically focus on what would be helpful to you today. Let me know which one sounds better…" (they will NEVER say powerpoint)

Then poll the audience and generate an outline WITH them on a dry erase board and there's your presentation.

Groups love this because it shows you actually care about THEM... not just ramming a canned speech down their throats. The more interactive you are the better.

To convert to appointments end your presentation with a call to action.

"If you want more in-depth help about ____ call me or schedule a time for us to get together."

Also make sure you get everyones name, E-mail, and phone you you can drip market to them and continue to add value and follow up building relationships.

Powerpoint equals snooze fest. Don't do it.

I agree.

These people are already looking for an excuse to shut their eyes.
I have done many senior seminars. With 30+ years selling senior products, I just wing it.
I explain the 4 parts of Medicare.
I then get right to the questions. I try to spend at least 80% of my time on questions from the audience.
I'm assuming you are pretty green to med supp ?
If yes, these seniors will eat you alive with questions.
Be prepared to say, "That's a very good question. Write your question down on the scratch paper I've provided, with your name and telephone number and I will get back to you".

I am going to go the opposite route and say use a power point, but as a visual tool.

Yes, power points can be a snooze fest, if you just read the slides. No one wants to be subject to that. However, look at a TED talk. They use slides to illustrate points, and then discuss. Example, if you are reviewing Medicare Part A, have a picture of a hospital (even take one of a local hospital) and put MEDICARE PART A on the top of the slide. This way your audience knows you are talking about Medicare Part A. For each topic you are talking about, have a slide that has the subject topic. Such as Medicare Part B, Medicare Supplements, etc.

Check out Guy Kawasaki on youtube. He talks about pitching venture capitalists. His advice is 10/20/30 - 10 slides, 20 minutes, 30 point font. You can modify that logic into your presentation. I have sat through presentations with 50+ slides...ugh...DON'T DO THAT!

If you don't have knowledge that experienced agents have, winging it may not be the best idea. Have notes, practice, do your homework, and then practice some more.

You could do a webinar on Saving Money in Medicare and talk about how changing letter plans in Medicare supplements can save them premium and lower their potential future rate increases. Just a thought...

If you have 30 minutes spend the first 5 - 8 minutes on the basics of Medicare then open it up for questions. If you know your subject and are good on your feet you can win some converts.

If you are REALLY good, play "Stump the band". That was a crowd favorite on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Have plenty of business cards.

When someone does stump you have them write down their name and number and promise to get back to them. It never hurts to be humble and admit you don't know the answer. That usually impresses people more than trying to BS your way through.

And do NOT under any circumstances make the speech a sales pitch. You will not write any business and will never be invited back.

I am going to go the opposite route and say use a power point, but as a visual tool.

Yes, power points can be a snooze fest, if you just read the slides. No one wants to be subject to that. However, look at a TED talk. They use slides to illustrate points, and then discuss. Example, if you are reviewing Medicare Part A, have a picture of a hospital (even take one of a local hospital) and put MEDICARE PART A on the top of the slide. This way your audience knows you are talking about Medicare Part A. For each topic you are talking about, have a slide that has the subject topic. Such as Medicare Part B, Medicare Supplements, etc.

Check out Guy Kawasaki on youtube. He talks about pitching venture capitalists. His advice is 10/20/30 - 10 slides, 20 minutes, 30 point font. You can modify that logic into your presentation. I have sat through presentations with 50+ slides...ugh...DON'T DO THAT!

If you don't have knowledge that experienced agents have, winging it may not be the best idea. Have notes, practice, do your homework, and then practice some more.

You could do a webinar on Saving Money in Medicare and talk about how changing letter plans in Medicare supplements can save them premium and lower their potential future rate increases. Just a thought...

I completely agree but we are not talking about a TED talk for 500 people. My take is for a small group around 20 or less the powerpoint isn't needed and I am lazy so I rather just connect one on one with people than have a slick presentation.

A big seminar I would do as Midwestbroker suggests.

----------

Also I would do the powerpoint to smaller groups in a business situation B2B.

----------

Pitching a VC deal is a true "pitch"

Completely different than educating nana.

The reason I asked for the zip code is because Penn has a heavy penetration of MA's in almost every county. Are you certified for MA's & PDP's?

Last edited:
I'm presenting to 150 senior or near-seniors about Medicare tomorrow. I thought about a powerpoint but I better just "chatting" with people.

My plan is to review Medicare A-D using a pdf I can print out for MY use. I'll hand out an educational guide from UHC and spend most of the time answering questions.

My advantage is that questions have already been solicited and have a list of about 20 to discuss. I'll run through them and then ask if anyone has more.

While this is not exactly "winging it", it's closer to just having a good time with prospects.

My only issue is putting on a tie.

Rick

Back