Postponed Part B at 65 While Working, Now a Late Enrollee?

kgmom219

What's Next?
5000 Post Club
Texas
Client is actually a spouse. At age 65, in 2002, postponed Part B due to employer coverage. Employer had more than 20 ee's. 2002 employer has since changed hands 3 times and is now part of Rockwell International.

There has been no gap in coverage.

Employee was laid off and active coverage ends 12/31/15.

Rockwell has no HR going back to 2002 and client is being hit as a late enrollee.

Any ideas? How do I get the late enrollee penalty stripped?

I'm not sure if this is the right answer but does she have any old paystubs showing something going to insurance coverage. I think the easiest thing would be to go to her HR and get some sort of letter showing no lapse in coverage.

Any medical bills during that time that would show they were paid by a insurance company?

I would think creditable coverage would not be that hard to prove.

I'm not sure if this is the right answer but does she have any old paystubs showing something going to insurance coverage. I think the easiest thing would be to go to her HR and get some sort of letter showing no lapse in coverage.

Any medical bills during that time that would show they were paid by a insurance company?

I would think creditable coverage would not be that hard to prove.

HR said no.

I can ask about paystubs, but its 14 years ago! I did tell her to pull the 1040's.

But I appreciate the response. :)

Client is actually a spouse. At age 65, in 2002, postponed Part B due to employer coverage. Employer had more than 20 ee's. 2002 employer has since changed hands 3 times and is now part of Rockwell International.

There has been no gap in coverage.

Employee was laid off and active coverage ends 12/31/15.

Rockwell has no HR going back to 2002 and client is being hit as a late enrollee.

Any ideas? How do I get the late enrollee penalty stripped?

I have had to deal with situations like this and can tell you it can be quite a cluster-muck.First step is to determine the different carrier timelines.This can sometime be determined by contacting their PCP office and pharmacies.Once you can present at least a rough idea of timeline of different carrier coverage SS can usually verify EGHP coverage's.

Tell the client to do this BEFORE they apply for their 1/1/16 SEP for part B because it is extremely hard to get it waived after they are enrolled.BTW same info will be needed going back to 1/2006 I believe to avoid part D LEP

Brought this one back, because of what happened today.

We now have Certificates of Coverage going back to age 65. 2 of the employers have since gone out of business.

She took the COC's to the local SSA office and they were completely unhelpful. According the local person, unless she can get the employer form "signed off" then she is a late enrollee. The fact that she has COC's and the companies no longer exist is irrelevant. They sent off an appeal, which takes 60-90 days.

This is just stupid. I'm pretty sure Kafka had this in mind when he wrote his book.

Anybody have a suggestion?

Why not just ask the person filling out the L564 document to use the original date she was employed, or at least until she t65 as the start date of coverage.

Sometimes the HR depts tend to over think that document?

I've had a similar situation, although with less moving parts and SS never needed tangible proof of where the coverage originated from.

Other thoughts, did the person create accounts on the websites like myuhc.com to recreate steps? Maybe check pharmacy if they used the same one?

Sometimes dealing with HR can be like dealing with Nurse Ratched.

I am watching this thread for Idea's, I once had a prospect who's HR flat out refused to sign Part B form, I was unable to help her at the time

Why not just ask the person filling out the L564 document to use the original date she was employed, or at least until she t65 as the start date of coverage.

Not sure you want to ask an HR to perjure themselves on a federal form. Could be some consequences there.

Back