Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum

Reply to Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO     
Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Super Genius

State: vertex is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO
Has anybody ever used an attorney to help get a release from a fmo that continues to drag their feet despite all good faith efforts? I have reached my limit!
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO
Old 06-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Guru
somarco on Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO

State: somarco is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
somarco is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO Re: Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO
Why do you think paying an attorney to write a strongly worded letter will make them willing to speed up the process? What kind of leverage do you have? How have you been harmed by the delay in releasing you?

The doctor is in. Five cents please.
Georgia Medicare Plans
GA Medicare Supplement Rates
(404) 252-5859
Old 06-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Guru
Todd King on Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO

State: Todd King is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Todd King is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO Re: Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
Has anybody ever used an attorney to help get a release from a fmo that continues to drag their feet despite all good faith efforts? I have reached my limit!
By the time you spend the money and the time it wouldn't be worth it. Just go 6 months without writing the particular company you're wanting to move and you don't need the former FMO's permission.

Who is the FMO? (Help others here so they won't get hooked up with a group like that).

Todd R. King
800-590-7207
540-400-6275
888-748-3978 Fax
TRKingIM.com

Do the right thing because it's simply the right thing to do.

Finalexpense101.com
Old 06-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Guru

State: donamese is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Originally Posted by Todd King View Post
By the time you spend the money and the time it wouldn't be worth it. Just go 6 months without writing the particular company you're wanting to move and you don't need the former FMO's permission.

Who is the FMO? (Help others here so they won't get hooked up with a group like that).
You may want to terminate the appointment with the carrier. Some say 6 months of no production, others request you be terminated for 6 months. Better to check with them just to be on the safe side and not cause further delays.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
Guru

State: jdeasy is an Insurance Agent from Kentucky
jdeasy is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
Companies and IMO's are in this together to enforce a contract provision on agents they never signed.

The company can over ride the IMO if they want to. Most won't because they don't want to upset their partner in this hoax.

It would never stand up in court but by the time you won in court the waiting period would be over anyway. Plus you are out the expenses.

The companies and IMO's all know this. That's why they don't care.

Unless you want to take on the whole system then just term your contracts and write others until the time is up to recontract.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Guru
Newby on Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO

State: Newby is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
Newby is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
When agents want to come to us and they are thinking the way you are I tell them to forget those companies you think you need. Quit losing sleep over it.

Just contract with new companies. You only need one or two good ones and a GI and you are back in biz. Then CANCEL all the ones you couldn't get released from. In six months if you still want them, you are good to pick them up.
You are only trapped by your own mind. Nothing can stop you unless you allow it to.

Last edited by Newby; 06-19-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
Guru

State: NSRH is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
When agents want to come to us and they are thinking the eay you are I tell them to forget those companies you think you need. Quit losing sleep over it.

Just contract with hew companies. You only need one or two good ones and a GI and you are back in biz. Then CANCEL all the ones you couldn't get released from. In six months if you still want them, you are good to pick them up.
You are only trapped by your own mind. Nothing can stop you unless you allow it to.
True for the FE market, but not necessarily for the senior health market. Some agencies, especially captive ones, may get you appointed with most, if not all the players in your area. If you're not released, you're out of business, unless you sell another line of insurance.

Up front releases are not only important in the FE world, but I would say mandatory in the senior health world.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
-Mark Twain
Old 06-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
Guru
Newby on Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO

State: Newby is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
Newby is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by NSRH View Post
True for the FE market, but not necessarily for the senior health market. Some agencies, especially captive ones, may get you appointed with most, if not all the players in your area. If you're not released, you're out of business, unless you sell another line of insurance.

Up front releases are not only important in the FE world, but I would say mandatory in the senior health world.
Medicare Advantage I can agree with you on. Not Med Sups though. Too many players there. If there isn't a competitive one available now just wait 15-minutes and there will be.

I agree that it's easier if agencies just release. But I have run into very few situations where it really held the agent back. There is just too many companies. No one has them all tied up.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Guru
GreenSky on Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO

State: GreenSky is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
GreenSky is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
I got screwed years ago by Applied General Agencies (AGA) when I was first told about the 6 month slavery "clause" in their agreement with UHC. I could have sued and certainly been released but it would take years and I'd have to sue UHC in the process.

I'd win the battle but lose the war. We are all appointed at the "pleasure of the company" and can terminate us for any reason. I'm sure a lawsuit would be reason enough.

There is little you can do when you work with a dishonest FMO.

Rick

Now offering Washington National contracts. Great cancer plans!
YIO is now available at http://yourinsuranceoffice.net/.

insure(at)greenskyins(dot)com
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #10
Guru

State: mbiallas is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO
Originally Posted by GreenSky View Post
I got screwed years ago by Applied General Agencies (AGA) when I was first told about the 6 month slavery "clause" in their agreement with UHC. I could have sued and certainly been released but it would take years and I'd have to sue UHC in the process.

I'd win the battle but lose the war. We are all appointed at the "pleasure of the company" and can terminate us for any reason. I'm sure a lawsuit would be reason enough.

There is little you can do when you work with a dishonest FMO.

Rick
I am looking to get involved in MA soon and am looking to see what IMOs are offering in this space. Any recommendations?
Reply to Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum