12 Month Trial MA Trial

May I ask who you are appointed with? You may want to ask if the have some training classes you could attend.

You can also read cover to cover a few times the Medicare and You book and do a ton of reading on Medicare.gov

You'll find some smart a$$ people on here, ignore them, there are enough of us to give constructive answers.;)

Doing my appointments now, and learning way more from their training than from AHIP, for sure. Just hard to get all the minutia down, our federal government is SO good at keeping things simple, I just cant wait until they are in charge of health care! ugh.

Thanks Todd, I hadn't run across that yet.

OK... I am actually learning something here... but let me run a certain scenario past you for clarification.

I have a 77 yo codger who is in MA plan now... not certain if this is his 1st yr or if he has had it longer than one year (will be a material factor, but lets say that this is his 1st yr for this example). so he has been into MA plan now for 11 months and 2 days, at the moment. He doesn't really like the co-pays, etc with MA and he has some health problems too, wouldn't pass u/w questions on an app due to a pending cataract surg for Jan 2012.

Ok, so if he is in his first yr with MA, he could now decide that he doesn't like this plan any longer and buy a Med Supp, GI....? He was with AARP before and said that they changed the plan and he didn't like that plan any longer (not sure what that means) so if that AARP specific plan was no longer available, then he buy any supp, any co that sells one... certain plans A, F, and the few others mentioned...?

Important here is that I have a 5pm appt today with him... so your answers may alter history as we know it.

OK... I am actually learning something here... but let me run a certain scenario past you for clarification.

I have a 77 yo codger who is in MA plan now... not certain if this is his 1st yr or if he has had it longer than one year (will be a material factor, but lets say that this is his 1st yr for this example). so he has been into MA plan now for 11 months and 2 days, at the moment. He doesn't really like the co-pays, etc with MA and he has some health problems too, wouldn't pass u/w questions on an app due to a pending cataract surg for Jan 2012.

Ok, so if he is in his first yr with MA, he could now decide that he doesn't like this plan any longer and buy a Med Supp, GI....? He was with AARP before and said that they changed the plan and he didn't like that plan any longer (not sure what that means) so if that AARP specific plan was no longer available, then he buy any supp, any co that sells one... certain plans A, F, and the few others mentioned...?

Important here is that I have a 5pm appt today with him... so your answers may alter history as we know it.

It would seem that he did not buy an MA when first eligible from what you posted. Or leave a med sup to get into the MA plan. Barring one of those two things happening he will not have a GI right to a med sup.

On re-reading what you said it would seem that he was in an AARP MA plan that changed. if he was in a med sup it would not have changed. So this is not his first time in an MA nor is he within the first 12 months.

If it was a med sup he would have the right to go back to that med sup. If it's not available anymore he has a GI right to another med sup.

Last edited:
You don't have to be "when first eligible" to get your supp back or have a GI supp situation.

If this bene had AARP, dropped it to enroll, this is his first time in MA, the he can return to AARP if they still sell that supp he had, if not then he has other GI options from other carriers.

You need to get Medicare on the phone when with him, run down the situation with them... they are the gate keeper for GI and 12 mo. trial cases.

Doh! Didn't see TRK's post on page 2 of this thread. #5 is what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Are you saying a person in Ca. that was on only medicare only and was say 68 years old and not ever been on a med sup or MA plan and signs up for one now during AEP for the first time and then drops it in 6 months because of the trail period can GI into a med sup?

If they can it's certainly a state rule.

On further review I don't think that person would even have a trial right. I don't believe they could drop the MA after the MADP at all until the next AEP.

CMS isn't going to make someone stay in an MA plan if they are unhappy. They will lose their Rx plan but they will be able to buy a supp.

May I ask who you are appointed with? You may want to ask if the have some training classes you could attend.

You can also read cover to cover a few times the Medicare and You book and do a ton of reading on Medicare.gov

You'll find some smart a$$ people on here, ignore them, there are enough of us to give constructive answers.;)

Better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

CMS isn't going to make someone stay in an MA plan if they are unhappy. They will lose their Rx plan but they will be able to buy a supp.

Yes they will. Happens all the time. You cannot just an MA plan during lock-in just because you don't like it.

Also, a person cannot get a GI into a med sup unless they meet the criteria spelled out in the rules.

Latest posts

Back