20 med supps per month

You're going to have to explain that one for me. Not sure how this business is a sexually transmitted disease the first year.

I assume you keep track of your numbers. 103,000 is an incredible number for less than 10 months for one person (assuming you are the only one working the leafs). Care to share your average response rate, meeting and closing numbers? I'm assuming you've gotten somewhere between 1,000-2,000 leads. I'm exhausted just thinking of possibly working 200+ leads per month. Kudos to you if that's what you're doing.
My colorful description of this business is a metaphor which I stand by. The first year or so of selling med supps is beat.

Closing ratio is nothing spectacular...about four per thousand depending on the state.

Last edited:
You close 4 out of 1,000 (actual response) leads?

Not 4 out of every 1,000 mailed, but 4 out of every 1,000 that returned a DM card.

Not critical. Just asking

My colorful description of this business is a metaphor which I stand by. The first year or so of selling med supps is beat.

Closing ratio is nothing spectacular...about four per thousand depending on the state.
Hey Buck, sounds like you are selling med supps by phone in other states using direct mail. Is this correct?

If I were you, I would focus on T-65. There are many on here who will tell you to target 67+ and go for the plan switch, but I've found that they are harder nuts to crack. Plus a percentage of your apps will be turned down.

The T65s have to make a decision.

While the T65s have much more competition, there is enough out there for everyone. Others can speak to the effectiveness of telemarketing better than me and it must be working for some, but the people I am talking to these days are stating that they are routinely getting 4-6 telemarketers calling per day and many have stopped answering their landlines altogether.

Personally I've had success using direct mail to the t65 crowd. In my opinion it's physically possible to write 6-7 med supps per day. That's certainly atypical, but I bring this up because I see people recommend sending 1,000 pieces every couple weeks, getting their three maybe four sales in a week and then repeating. Why go so slowly?

Your ability to close will either be there or not, so why not send 10k a month? Or more and ramp up the numbers. Even if you are new, your advances should be covering the cost and then some.

This business is gonorrhea until you get your residuals rolling in so might as well take the fastlane.

Good luck dude.

(For the record, I've sent 103,000 pieces of direct mail YTD.)

If you don't mind, I'm wondering if you work with an FMO that does some type of co-op marketing so the cost of your 10k mailers each month is lower? If so who would that be?

Back