2009 Medsupp Premium Increases

American Continental Ins. Co., a sister company of Continental Life, just got a 5% rate increase, unless otherwise stated, on med-supps in...

Montana, Florida, Pennsylvania(9% on plan J), Kansas(7% on F and 9% on J) and SC(7% on F and 9% on J).

American Continental Ins. Co., a sister company of Continental Life, just got a 5% rate increase, unless otherwise stated, on med-supps in...

Montana, Florida, Pennsylvania(9% on plan J), Kansas(7% on F and 9% on J) and SC(7% on F and 9% on J).

They've left the market here in MO.

18% on all but plan J which got NO increase.

I believe that Continental Life was a much better company with it was still owned by Randall Baskins. They have definitely fallen out of grace with me.

Sorry I strongly disagree. I won't get into specifics here, there was some highly unethical things that was done prior to the "new reign". Baskin should have retired years before he sold out, he lived three hours from me and the stories I could tell!

I recently began writing for them when Atchison and the new crew took over. Their customer service has been spectacular. I sent them $170k in personal production last yr on the ACI product in TN.

Sorry I strongly disagree. I won't get into specifics here, there was some highly unethical things that was done prior to the "new reign". Baskin should have retired years before he sold out, he lived three hours from me and the stories I could tell!

You may very well be right.

Three hours is a pretty good trip, I mean it isn't like you were next door neighbors. I'm curious, who are you that you were privileged to so much "eyes only" information. Not busting your ass, just genuinely curious. He didn't appear like someone I would want for a good, close, personal drinking buddy.

I was speaking strictly from a premium increase stand point. Under Baskin premiums were held to very seldom and low increases in Missouri. For the longest time, around eight years, they were my company of preference to put prospects with. Not only were rates extremely competitive but commissions were among the highest, at least with the contract I have.

Now, neither Continental Life nor American Continental are competitive enough for me to consider recommending them to prospects. Continental Life went up 25% in December 2008 and American Continental will be going up 18% soon.

I have a feeling that if each of us knew everything about "insurance executives" and how they conduct themselves both personally and professionally we would all be in line at Wal-mart applying for greeters jobs. :D

Three hours is a pretty good trip, I mean it isn't like you were next door neighbors. I'm curious, who are you that you were privileged to so much "eyes only" information. Not busting your ass, just genuinely curious. He didn't appear like someone I would want for a good, close, personal drinking buddy.

I was speaking strictly from a premium increase stand point. Under Baskin premiums were held to very seldom and low increases in Missouri. For the longest time, around eight years, they were my company of preference to put prospects with. Not only were rates extremely competitive but commissions were among the highest, at least with the contract I have.

Now, neither Continental Life nor American Continental are competitive enough for me to consider recommending them to prospects. Continental Life went up 25% in December 2008 and American Continental will be going up 18% soon.

I have a feeling that if each of us knew everything about "insurance executives" and how they conduct themselves both personally and professionally we would all be in line at Wal-mart applying for greeters jobs. :D

That might actually be a promotion...

that's interesting. if you have some other good companies in the hopper (and you should), you should have sold her one of those, and switched the husband to that company as well. you then would have made two sales, instead of 0.

assuming he qualified of course. oh, and the policy fees mean nothing, the customers don't make a deal out of them unless you do.

I believe Admiral is already here. At least according to the rating tool I use. In my zip code, a male age 65 would be $166.92 plus $20 policy fee. A female would be $145.17. Looks like Royal Neighbors is the closest to United World at $125.78 for the same female and $144.69 for the male. RNA does have a policy fee of $20.

I contacted New Era last year about getting contracted. I had a client whose husband had New Era and she wanted it as well. I couldn't get anyone to return a call. I started leaving messages of how busy they must be to not be able to pick up a phone and call. On two separate occasions over the course of about 1 month, they said they mailed me the paperwork. When I finally got to speak with someone again I was told they weren't contracting new agents in Georgia anymore. I suspect I had pissed them off and they just didn't want to contract me. If you are contracted with New Era in Georgia, more power to you. I finally told the client just to contact them direct.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Clause D. I don't care for most of the stupid trips/awards they provide anyway. Give me my money... that's all I want from a company.

hey, if you ever qualify for one, see if I can go in your place. I like the money and the trips.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Baskin did keep the rates stable, but unfortunately that was the only good thing that I can say about what he did. I personally had my contract termed by Continental for no reason. They stated a line in the contract that allowed them to terminate without cause, and cease paying renewal commissions, which they did! To top it off, they sent a letter out to each of my clients, stating that I was no longer with them, and not to allow me into their home or to speak with me if I called. They gave the home office # and a name for them to ask for if they needed anything.

Naturally I was livid! Baskins office stated I was termed for lack of production, which was bullshit because I had wrote 2 medsupps the month before. After speaking with my FMOs for other companies, this was done quite regularly by ol' man Baskin.

It gets better! I then did what any agent would do, I rolled ALL of them except for 1 (there were about 15 total). THEN they sent ME a bill for nearly $20,000, an annual premium notice for all of the policies! :biggrin: :D

Naturally, I laughed and called them. They said that there was a tiny blurb in the contract that allowed this!!?? They then turned me into Vector One as having a $20,000 bad debt!

Well, I won't say what happened after that, but I did get the matter resolved through Vector and I wouldn't have written any more business PERIOD if not for the guys up there now. I personally know the current owners (have for years) and I can say it is night and day the way they treat the agents.

Baskin can rot in hell!

Last edited:
Back